Show: Today's Messages :: Unanswered :: Navigator :: Polls
250 Search Results Found
1 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Sat, 17 July 2010 08:24 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Pi 4.5 possible?
We've discussed this approach several times, and I think it's a good idea but I think the multisub approach is even better. Of course, you can employ both approaches but if you have to chose one, I'd go multisubs. Take those "helper" woofers ...
2 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Tue, 29 June 2010 09:37 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Upon further investigation..
Again, I think the 2.5-way approach is a good idea but think multisubs are better. Of course, you can always do both. The thing is, when building speakers, the thing that separates the decent DIY efforts from the really sweet speakers is the amount o...
3 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Mon, 28 June 2010 21:34 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Upon further investigation..
I think the MTM idea is definitely doable, but I find that the nulls are well spaced using the matched-directivity two-way approach I employ, so I'm not sure the MTM gives anything extra. The whole point of both approaches is vertical control and we hav...
4 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Sun, 27 June 2010 02:42 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: four π, seven π, multisubs
Multisubs improve the sound of any system, regardless of the quality of the mains. I would rather have four π speakers with multisubs than seven π speakers without. Of course, I'd rather have seven π speakers with multisubs, given the right room layout...
5 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Tue, 15 June 2010 14:27 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: 4Pi crossover issue
Smooth bottoms is what really drove the decision against plate-through holes on the crossover boards. Even if you cut off the sharp edges when removing the leads from soldered components, you'd still have the thickness of the solder joints which wou...
6 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Mon, 07 June 2010 12:35 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: 3Pi or 4Pi better than modded Klipsch Quartet?
Quality will be largely influenced by the components chosen, i.e. upgrade level. I think either the three π or the four π with upgraded woofer and tweeters will perform much better. Certainly I'm biased but then again I put a lot of effort into perfect...
7 Forum: Pro Sound «» Posted on: Thu, 06 May 2010 15:18 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Build my own subs
In some cases, I think that makes sense. But you can't fix everything with signal processing. Setting a delay or making a filter is easy, but some acoustics problems can't be solved that way. Two examples that come to mind are cone breakup and destruc...
8 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Mon, 03 May 2010 14:05 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: How Many Speakers For A Home Theater System?
Most home theater systems are for five channel, left/right/center and a pair of surrounds. Some are for seven channels, a left/right surround and a pair in the rear. Either of those configurations are pretty good for home systems, I think, with one spe...
9 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Thu, 29 April 2010 14:13 «» By: Wayne Parham
Versions and Upgrades
I agree with your assessment of the crossover. The new version (2007) is an incremental improvement over the original, not a night-and-day paradigm shift by any means. The basic design hasn't changed in many years. But having the latest version of the...
10 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Tue, 13 April 2010 21:27 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: 3pi/ 4pi plans
Stands are good for raising the sound source, particularly for smaller speakers. I think it becomes less necessary with larger speakers, and sometimes I use stands that are short enough they are probably best called angled risers. But sometimes even la...
Pages (25): [ «    10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25    »]

Current Time: Sun Jun 02 11:03:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio
Smith & Larson Audio