Show: Today's Messages :: Unanswered :: Navigator :: Polls
213 Search Results Found
1 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Wed, 08 November 2006 08:44 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Your Experiences With Constant Directivity Horns
I prefer constant directivity horns. When constant directivity is observed through the midrange upwards, the reverberent field is more uniform. The sound is much more natural throughout the room. This requires midrange and tweeter horns be matched, hav...
2 Forum: Home Theater «» Posted on: Wed, 18 October 2006 15:31 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: 7.1 surround
I think I'd prefer dipoles or horns. But understand that I generally prefer horns anyway, since I make them. The main thing for me is uniform directivity, not so much a narrow pattern, particularly in the surround positions. They're there to create amb...
3 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Tue, 05 September 2006 15:04 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Learned some more audio truth outdoors
Pretty much every speaker you've ever seen me do has this as one of its main design objectives. Controlled directivity is part and parcel of the design process. That's why my loudspeakers sound consistent throughout the room, and tonal balance is good e...
4 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Sat, 26 August 2006 11:28 «» By: Wayne Parham
Basshorns - Pros and Cons
I've had a long-time infatuation with horns of all sizes. Tweeter horns and midrange horns don't have to be terribly big to work very well, so I've always used them. But bass horns have to be large, so they're usually size-probitive for home hifi use. R...
5 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Fri, 28 April 2006 10:38 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Corner Horn positioning "Sweet Spot" for listening...HELP
The "sweet spot" is actually a very large area of the room. That's one of the biggest advantages of the π cornerhorn configuration. The reverberent field is very uniform because off-axis response is the same as on-axis response. The best listening p...
6 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Fri, 07 April 2006 10:05 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: 7 pi bassbin
Some cabinets are more forgiving of modification than others. But really, any time you modify the plans, there is a risk that it will not perform as expected. If it's a simple bass-reflex box and the only thing modified is slight change of dimensions, t...
7 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Tue, 10 January 2006 12:41 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Yes, and the pros and cons please.
The benefits of the π cornerhorn include constant directivity and a wide sweet spot in addition to all the other advantages of horn loading, i.e. increased efficiency, reduced distortion, etc. The sound source comes from a single location - the apex o...
8 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Wed, 21 December 2005 15:34 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: I can think of one
I understand your position but I do not agree with it fully. Let me explain.The strength of a loudspeaker designed to match DI at the crossover point is that the polar response is pretty uniform, not just the axial response. On this, you and I agree.But...
9 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Tue, 04 October 2005 16:03 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Bypass capacitor calculation
Model the circuit in Spice. The rising impedance of the tweeter's voice coil and the constant impedance of padding resistors makes a little bit of HF boost without any bypass capacitance. The crossover also interacts with the padding, because it sets th...
10 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Wed, 29 June 2005 11:02 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: tweeter horns in the line array?
Constant directivity just means the sound is uniform no matter where you are. To not like constant directivity is to like unbalanced sound.In fairness, most people that like horns with collapsing DI usually like other features about them. It isn't the l...
Pages (22): [ «    7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22    »]

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 08:14:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio
Miller Audio