Show: Today's Messages :: Unanswered :: Navigator :: Polls
275 Search Results Found
1 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Sat, 29 July 2006 00:32 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: 2226 tuning help needed!
Yes, making the ports longer would certainly shift the Helmholtz frequency down. I'd go down about 10Hz, so I'm thinking you may have to go longer or even plug a port.
2 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Sat, 22 July 2006 10:51 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: The "right" port distance
Martin King has been a valuable contributor of research in audio and loudspeakers for years, and he's a great guy. While I don't build transmission line speakers, I do build horns which are quarter-wave devices too. I think many (most) basshorns straddl...
3 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Fri, 21 July 2006 08:34 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: The "right" port distance
The position of the port in a Helmholtz resonator does not matter. However, in a transmission line it does because its behavior is wavelength related. A bass-reflex speaker is one that uses Helmholtz resonance as the tuning method, but if the cabinet is...
4 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Sat, 24 June 2006 21:54 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Help a newbie! Please?
Internal volume of the tower two π speaker is 4.5ft3. The reason you have to change port size if baffle thickness changes is because the baffle thickness sets the length of the port. A thicker baffle makes a longer port, and that changes the Helmholtz f...
5 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Sat, 10 June 2006 10:29 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: bass as per enclosure
That's a common misconception - bass doesn't come solely through the ports. Bass sound pressure comes from the front of the cone just as it does from the back. The rear wave is tuned by a Helmholtz resonator which loads the cone at bass frequencies, but...
6 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Sun, 28 May 2006 22:18 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: 8pi port ?
There are actually three vents and they tune the Helmholtz frequency to 35Hz.
7 Forum: Pro Sound «» Posted on: Sat, 15 April 2006 15:08 «» By: Paul C.
Re: Pipes, tapered pipes and Helmholtz resonators
Wayne, did I send you a disk of Arthur Benade's papers? Benade was a physicist and clarinetist. He modeled the clarinet, a cylindrical pipe. All the math, graphs, the works. Some of this applies to speakers, just sub a driver for a mouthpiece/reed.htt...
8 Forum: Room Acoustics «» Posted on: Thu, 30 March 2006 11:43 «» By: Cyclotronguy
Re: rigid foam
You need open cell foam, unless you plan on using this a a resonate panel in a helmholtz absorber.Cyclotronguy
9 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Thu, 23 February 2006 08:36 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Port - front or back
As long as a port isn't blocked, it makes no difference, front or rear. It forms a Helmholtz resonator and the frequencies of interest have very long wavelengths, completely omnidirectional.
10 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Thu, 23 February 2006 08:36 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Port - front or back
As long as a port isn't blocked, it makes no difference, front or rear. It forms a Helmholtz resonator and the frequencies of interest have very long wavelengths, completely omnidirectional.
Pages (28): [ «    8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23    »]

Current Time: Sat Jun 29 10:36:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio
Miller Audio