Show: Today's Messages :: Unanswered :: Navigator :: Polls
446 Search Results Found
1 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Wed, 29 April 2009 23:54 «» By: Wayne Parham
Boundary conditions and floor bounce
Boundary loading increases SPL because it constrains the radiating angle. Where a sound source like the four π speaker in frespace would radiate omnidirectionally, boundary loading reduces the radiating angle. So at low to mid frequencies, the first-arr...
2 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Sun, 12 April 2009 00:30 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Cabinets for Four Pi speakers - now Crossovers
I use air core coils where possible to prevent saturation, but usually use laminated cores for coils larger than 3mH. An air core coil with enough meat to keep DC resistance down is just too large for the higher inductance values. If you look through t...
3 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Tue, 07 April 2009 17:11 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: B&C DE 250 and compensation
Remember that the Econowave crossover used on the AK site is a derivative of my π crossover. It's basically the same as what I'd use for an 8dB network, combined with an L-Pad for variable tweeter output. The L-Pad changes the scale of the R1/R2 values...
4 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Thu, 19 March 2009 13:24 «» By: Wayne Parham
Waveguides ARE Horns
The term "waveguide" has been applied to horns that provide constant directivity using a flare that doesn't require diffraction for waveshaping. They're a specialized subset. An acoustic waveguide is a horn, but a horn is not necessarily a wa...
5 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Thu, 19 March 2009 11:31 «» By: BtHarris
Waveguides verses Horns
What are the differences between waveguides and horns? If the goals are constant directivity and smoothness of response, why not go with one of the new waveguides out there?
6 Forum: Group Build «» Posted on: Tue, 10 March 2009 17:44 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Hmmmmm
Passive equalization works by attenuating certain portions of the response curve. So it will reduce output in certain areas. Pete wanted to reduce the octave around 700Hz by a couple decibels, but nowhere else. I don't see any harm in doing that. So ...
7 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Sat, 07 March 2009 22:31 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Suitable tweeter horns
One thing I think I'd still do it to match the horizontal directivity at crossover. That way, directivity collapses over the entire audio band. I would prefer constant directivity, but I think uniformly collapsing directivity is the next best thing. At...
8 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Mon, 23 February 2009 13:07 «» By: Wayne Parham
Cornerhorn implementations
I'll try to answer your specific question first, and then move on to "the bigger picture." The Omega 15 is a better woofer than the Delta 15. Not that the Delta 15 is a bad woofer, I find it very pleasant sounding, but the cast frame, lar...
9 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Tue, 17 February 2009 12:26 «» By: Wayne Parham
seven π setup
I suggest having the midhorn and tweeter angled inward 45°, same as the bass bin. The crossover is actually designed for that placement, with each horn mouth flush. It should look like this: seven π cornerhorn Using this configuration does thre...
10 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Mon, 16 February 2009 12:20 «» By: Wayne Parham
Baffle step and collapsing directivity
I was just in another discussion with some folks that considered baffle step correction a mandatory step in crossover design. I don't dismiss it entirely, but I do think it is sometimes given too much emphasis. Another thing I noticed is that these peop...
Pages (45): [ «    21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36    »]

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 22:31:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio
Miller Audio