Show: Today's Messages :: Unanswered :: Navigator :: Polls
446 Search Results Found
1 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Sat, 08 October 2011 23:13 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Speaker placement and wavefront launch
It's neat stuff. The thing is, when you have constant directivity cornerhorns setup, you really get to hear what constant directivity sounds like. The sound field is uniform through the entire audio band, and the wavefront is unperturbed. Nothing else...
2 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Thu, 06 October 2011 14:46 «» By: Wayne Parham
I have two answers for you, one that you asked for and the other, you didn't. First is the reason sound waves become spherical at a distance. All sound waves in free space tend to radiate this way, even if they start off as a plane wave (like from ...
3 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Thu, 06 October 2011 00:29 «» By: Wayne Parham
The seven π is definitely a better choice if you have the right corners, as you've rightly observed from the illustrations. You really notice the difference in the midrange. That's not to say the four π speaker is deficient in any way - it's very good ...
4 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Wed, 05 October 2011 17:35 «» By: Wayne Parham
The illustrations show radiation from a monopole source with boundary distances relative to wavelength. You're right that different frequencies create different patterns in the room, because the speaker is a fixed distance from the boundaries. But thes...
5 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Tue, 04 October 2011 13:41 «» By: AudioFred
Re: Ultimate Dipole Line Array
We're showing our age by remembering the "Sweet 16". I believe it was in Popular Science, which every 1960's high school science geek looked forward to receiving every month. With 16 drivers arranged in a square, the Sweet 16 beamed like a 24...
6 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Sun, 02 October 2011 02:02 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Alpha or Delta 10?
The constant directivity cornerhorn provides a much better pattern, better imaging and is almost 10dB more sensitive too. Sounds like a no-brainer to me, whichever midrange driver you choose. You won't be pushing them hard at all, so they'll barely be b...
7 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Sun, 02 October 2011 00:35 «» By: Wayne Parham
Speaker placement and wavefront launch
The ideal: The constant directivity cornerhorn. In this configuration, the sound source is within 1/4λ from the apex of the corner. This makes the walls act essentially as a large waveguide, confining radiation to the angle of the walls. There is no ...
8 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Fri, 09 September 2011 22:33 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Discussion on waveguides / horns
I wouldn't wait. The H290 isn't lacking anything in this design. I will definitely give the SEOS horns a proper evaluation but I won't be changing the line for at least two years, even if I should choose to do so. I can't see prioritizing this over ...
9 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Fri, 09 September 2011 17:24 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Discussion on waveguides / horns
I've asked them to send me a couple of them to work with. I like what they've done, looks like a great horn. But it's certainly not just a bolt-on swap, to be sure. You can design a horn to be that way, but it's not necessarily going to be a drop-in...
10 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Fri, 09 September 2011 00:22 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Contemplating a change
Well, I guess it's no surprised I'm biased, but then again, the trend towards uniform directivity among experts is clear. Controlled, uniform directivity is always welcomed, but in a small room, it's even more important because reflections are so much s...
Pages (45): [ «    11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26    »]

Current Time: Wed Aug 14 00:36:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio
Miller Audio