Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Wayne - What are the fundemental differences between ....
Wayne - What are the fundemental differences between .... [message #50102] Thu, 28 September 2006 17:58 Go to next message
Derro is currently offline  Derro
Chancellor
Hi,
Given that the Thermonic 4, Theatre 4 and Stage 4 all use 15" drivers ( albeit slightly ddifferent ones) and PSD2002 and the same Pi alignment - what are the advantages and differences between them? Which of them is best suited for use with a 300b SET amp in a domestic room of say, 18 x 15? Can I assume that the same answers would apply to the "Three" range ?

I would assume that the Thermonic 4 is the obvious choice, since it is designated "thermonic" but I also know that the Theatre 4 is very highly regarded for use with SETs also .... hmmm ... so which one should I aim for? Which is the more benign load that would be most suitable for single ended triodes?

many thanks in advance and any comments would be most appreciated.

DerrO

Re: Wayne - What are the fundemental differences between .... [message #50103 is a reply to message #50102] Thu, 28 September 2006 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

First off, I guess I should point out that there is no Thermionic four π loudspeaker. There used to be, but I pulled it from the line a couple years back. It was very large, and I felt it was just too big. The Q of the Alpha 15 driver is so high it needs an open baffle or a really big box.

The difference between the Theater, Stage and Professional Series four π cabinets are all related to the midwoofer driver. The Theater Series four π uses a relatively inexpensive midwoofer that needs a large box. It is tuned to have a nice slow rolloff, so it works well near boundaries, taking advantage of boundary loading and room gain. The Professional Series midwoofer is like that too, but the box is much smaller and its midwoofer generates lower distortion because of its use of a shorting ring. The Stage Series is right in between, but doesn't have a shorting ring. It also is better with less boundary loading.

The thing with low power SET amps is they have high output impedance. That makes electrical damping less effective. So woofers that have low Qes will act like they have much higher Qes when a tube amp is used. Speakers generate back EMF, which is not damped by the amp, so response can suffer in some cases. If a loudspeaker's impedance curve has large spikes, then this will act like a voltage divider with the tube amp, which in turn causes response spikes.

The Theater four π Speaker has a tube-friendly impedance curve, meaning there isn't a lot of fluctuation. The Professional Series four π is pretty good too. All of the six π and seven π cornerhorns have flat impedance curves. The Stage four π and Premium four π have more fluctuation, as does the Theater three π. They work well on some low power amps, less so on others. All of the Thermionics and Studio Series models work well on any amp, including low power SET amps.
Thanks for that Wayne. [message #50104 is a reply to message #50103] Fri, 29 September 2006 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Derro is currently offline  Derro
Chancellor
Thanks

How big were the Thermionic fours? [message #50106 is a reply to message #50103] Fri, 29 September 2006 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt Presley is currently offline  Matt Presley
Chancellor
I'm wondering now just out of intellectual curiosity. You don't still have the plans laying around do you Wayne? If size wasn't an issue, were there any conceptual or performance advantages over the Theater 4? -Matt

Re: How big were the Thermionic fours? [message #50107 is a reply to message #50106] Fri, 29 September 2006 09:09 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The Thermionic four π was 12ft3, as I recall. The Theater four π isn't as large and it's a better speaker.

Previous Topic: Cooling plug - Driver preparation
Next Topic: Pi 4 questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 02:22:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout