Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » wow
wow [message #49913] Wed, 23 August 2006 00:19 Go to next message
T Moore is currently offline  T Moore
Esquire
Several months ago I built a pair or studio two towers as my first diy audio project and was very happy with them. I honestly feel that these speakers are the best value in audio available. They work extremely well for both music or movies. I have been very satisfied with them and would recommend them to anyone, no matter what your musical taste.

Next, decided to try a SET integrated amplifier kit (you can probably guess which one) and found the combination to be great at conveying the emotion of well recorded acoustic music, but lacking the drive necessary for rock and amplified blues, so of course I built a pair of Theater 4's. To be quite honest it has taken a while for me to warm up to the 4's. They do play louder on than the studio 2 towers on 1.5 watts, but I was left wondering if it was worth the price, a testimonial to the value of the tower 2's. Tonight I finally discovered what the theater 4's are all about.

I decided to unwind after a tough day at work with a little Stevie Ray Vaughn. When my wife went to visit the neighbors I cranked the volume up a bit (dvd player into an inexpensive 60w a/v receiver) and sat back to enjoy the music. After a couple of songs I saw the kitchen door open about half way and then close again. A few minutes later the neighbors sixteen year old son walked in and yelled "your wife said I needed to come over and hear this." At that point my radio shack meter was showing 110db and you could see orange lights flickering through the ports on musical peaks.

It sounded just like being at a concert, so of course I shut it all down and hooked up my California Audio Labs CD player and 125 watt McCormick amp and fired it back up to see what would happen. Now the music was a loud as a live concert, but sounded better than any live show that I have ever been to. I can now truly say that I can recreate a live concert in my living room. Thanks Wayne.

P.S.
Do I need to worry about the lights?

Re: wow [message #49914 is a reply to message #49913] Wed, 23 August 2006 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master

Now, ...you are set for Madonna.

Re: wow [message #49915 is a reply to message #49913] Wed, 23 August 2006 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Glad you're happy with your speakers, Troy. The light you see in the port is from a lamp used as a protection device for the tweeter. At high power levels, the lamp begins to glow and increases resistance, compressing the HF signal and protecting the tweeter.

Re: wow [message #49926 is a reply to message #49915] Fri, 25 August 2006 14:08 Go to previous message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
Sorry to jump in Wayne, but there are technical details for the "Pros" on the Shunt Lightbulb Circuit down in here.

T. Moore;
The compression is good because the sound doesn't fail (it turns dim in a light-and-less prononced scale, at the same time protecting the compression speaker) as oposed to PTC, fuse or rele. Like in a live event where "they" can't turn off the sound not even for a few seconds even if for speaker protection.

Ps. at first I tought you where really seeing some "Madonna lights" only after Wayne' I got they where xover lightbulbs.

Previous Topic: kappalite3015
Next Topic: horn ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 09:04:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout