Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Power Transfer into Professional Pi7
Power Transfer into Professional Pi7 [message #49540] Mon, 29 May 2006 07:21 Go to next message
Tobias is currently offline  Tobias
Chancellor
I currently have the Pi7s with all JBL drivers, and driving them with a tube amp that is hard wired for 4 ohms. I've contacted the manufacture and indicated that the speakers I'm driving should have a relatively flat impedance of 8 ohms. The manufacturer can change the output to 8 ohms, however they claim their amp has been optimized to use the 4 ohm tap. Whether I keep my current amp or change to a tube amp with multiple taps, is there any benefit to using 8 ohm taps vs 4 ohm taps with the Pi7s?

Re: Power Transfer into Professional Pi7 [message #49542 is a reply to message #49540] Mon, 29 May 2006 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, put them on the 8 ohm tap. The impedance curve of the seven π speaker is nice and smooth, centered at 8 ohms.

Re: Power Transfer into Professional Pi7 [message #49543 is a reply to message #49542] Mon, 29 May 2006 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks Wayne. I'll follow up with the manufacturer to see what is involved in changing output to 8 ohms. May be time to try something else, in which case I wouldn't rule out SS.

Re: Power Transfer into Professional Pi7 [message #49545 is a reply to message #49543] Mon, 29 May 2006 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
j.luis cruz . is currently offline  j.luis cruz .
Master
Hey Tom how does yours 7pi JBL sound ?

Re: Power Transfer into Professional Pi7 [message #49546 is a reply to message #49545] Mon, 29 May 2006 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I think they do a lot of things very well. Good resolution without being hyper revealing, nice tonal balance, soundstage is wall to wall, the dynamics and impact are exciting, and they seem to do well with both tubes and solid state. I'm still dialing them into my system. I find them sensitive to different things than I am accustomed to, such as noise floor, gain, and things that influence timing.

Regarding the output impedance of my tube amp, I don't think I'm getting the same power as before with the output fixed at 4 ohms. Still enough to comfortably cruise at 100 spl if I want to, but not with the same punch. I have some modest 200 watt Outlaw monoblocks on hand that were only average sounding with my last speakers that kick butt with the 7Pi. It seems to me you can get good results without going overboard on amplification with the 7Pi.

Re: Power Transfer into Professional Pi7 [message #49547 is a reply to message #49546] Tue, 30 May 2006 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I wouldnt worry about it too much. It is not like speaker impedance is that constant. At some frequencies speakers will be above and below their "nominal" impedance. I find in my system that the 8 ohm taps sound best, and I have three sets of speakers I use, One Nominal 4 ohms, one 8 ohms, the other is around 6 ohms. as frequency of the signal the speaker reproduces changes, so does the impedance. I have also seen setups wherein you use a bi wire setup and all four taps are utilized! this araingment is in an issue of positive feedback I have somewhere or the other. the author basically believes that since all the taps are making music and the frequency is constantly varying, why waste any of it? Plus, depending on which taps are used for the highs and lows, you can accentuate or attenuate either the bass or treble. It requires a tube amp with 4,8, and 16 ohm taps and a bi wire setup to impliment, but this example demonstrate the basic principal I am talking about. some speakers vary widely in there impedance depending on what frequency is being put through them. As Wayne has pointed out, most of the Pi speakers have a relitively benign impedance curve, but you can bet it varies beyond 4 to 8 ohms at some point.

I have also noticed that some tube amps taps sound better than the other taps, and It also seems to me that this sometimes depends on which tap the feedback is taken from. ( at least in amps that utilize feedback)

Russellc

Re: Power Transfer into Professional Pi7 [message #49548 is a reply to message #49547] Wed, 31 May 2006 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks Russell for your reply. Since my amp does not provide other taps to try it's difficult to know whether an 8 ohm output would make that much of a difference. I simply suspect that the power transfer is not as efficient as it was with my previous speakers that were a better match impedance wise.

The reason I came to this conclusion is that my tube amp sounded more articulate, punchy, and powerful in the lower frequencies on my old speakers, where as the Outlaw monoblocks did not perform as well even though they are 200 watt SS amps. It seems the opposite is true with the Seven Pi.

Re: Power Transfer into Professional Pi7 [message #49549 is a reply to message #49548] Wed, 31 May 2006 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
That seems to confirm what I have always believed to be true; that Wayne voices his speakers with SS amps. My Theater fours sound better with SS amplification also. Not worse with Tubes especially PP with power; but better with SS.

Re: Power Transfer into Professional Pi7 [message #49634 is a reply to message #49540] Sat, 17 June 2006 15:25 Go to previous message
TomM is currently offline  TomM
Esquire
All is well again. I found the culprit to be a pair of cathode tubes in my preamp that had weakened. After I replaced these I have all the power, bass, and slam that 140wpc of tube power can dish out. Those Outlaw monos now sound anemic by comparison.

Previous Topic: Pi's for the Dynaco ST-70
Next Topic: Pi7 can I do it DIY?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 01:07:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout