Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2 pi and PiAlign program
2 pi and PiAlign program [message #49462] Sun, 14 May 2006 08:09 Go to next message
Paul is currently offline  Paul
Chancellor
the Qd value for the alpha 10 in the pialign data base that comes with the software is 2 but according tot he emminence website qts is .59 for the alpha 10 and the Qd should be 1/.59 = 1.69. When I plug in 1.69 into pialign I get a slightly bigger enclosure that the one in the 2pi design.

Why use a different QTS than what is provided in the emminence spec sheet?

Thanks
Paul

Re: 2 pi and PiAlign program [message #49463 is a reply to message #49462] Sun, 14 May 2006 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Eminence is constantly changing specs and that figure was for an earlier model with slightly different values. I've noticed most times when they do that the parameters are compatible, in that the new driver specs work well in a cabinet designed for an earlier model, not excessively underdamped or anything like that.

Re: 2 pi and PiAlign program [message #49465 is a reply to message #49463] Sun, 14 May 2006 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
thanks, sounds reasonable.

I'm trying to use the pialign program to get the ideal dimensions for a vented subwoofer based on the 10" dayton titanic woofer.

qts is 0.4 (qd=2.5)
vas is 1.345
fs is 28

from pi allign I get:
enclosure volume of .55
port length of 1.4
port diameter of 1.7

the enclosure size seems way to small (other sources suggest 1.5 cf)

am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Re: 2 pi and PiAlign program [message #49466 is a reply to message #49465] Sun, 14 May 2006 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

For a woofer like the one you've described (with Qts~0.38), PiAlign generates a recommendation that results in a very good response curve. Woofers with very high Qts values tend towards underdamped response and those with very low Q make slightly overdamped systems. You're is right in the middle so the response curve will be nice and flat. But PiAlign favors small cabinets and you can increase cabinet size and get deeper extension.

Woofers work well in a range of cabinet volumes. For example, I'd expect the woofer you've described to work very well in cabinets from 0.5ft3 to 2.0ft3 tuned to 25-30Hz. If you're going for a full-range speaker with a wide-bandwidth woofer, something like a small two-way speaker, then I'd go with the PiAlign suggestion. But if you are going for a sub, I'd look at alignments that use larger cabinets to get deeper response.

Re: 2 pi and PiAlign program [message #49469 is a reply to message #49466] Mon, 15 May 2006 07:02 Go to previous message
Chancellor
Thanks a lot.

That puts things into perspective. It is for a subwoofer, so rather than use the pialign result I'll probably go with a 1.5 cf vented box.

Paul

Previous Topic: Corner Horn positioning "Sweet Spot" for listening...HELP
Next Topic: Pi-9 ??
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 18:02:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers