Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » mid-horn
mid-horn [message #48667] Mon, 23 January 2006 18:01 Go to next message
j.luis cruz . is currently offline  j.luis cruz .
Master
Hy. how different does sound the mid-horn in the 8 pi versus the mid-horn in the 7 pi .thanks

Re: mid-horn [message #48677 is a reply to message #48667] Tue, 24 January 2006 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The seven π and the eight π loudspeakers use the same midhorn.

Re: mid-horn [message #48685 is a reply to message #48677] Tue, 24 January 2006 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jimbop is currently offline  jimbop
Viscount
What is the eight Pi speaker?

eight π loudspeaker [message #48688 is a reply to message #48685] Wed, 25 January 2006 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

eight π loudspeaker

Stop it Wayne! [message #48693 is a reply to message #48688] Thu, 26 January 2006 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Ok Wayne, you can stop posting pics of that model. You know I want one. Showed the significant other pics of the 8 last night and got the big WAP. She said we'd have to get a house with corners to put them in though. Definitely will be a priority consideration when we finally start looking again.

Questions [message #48694 is a reply to message #48688] Thu, 26 January 2006 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jimbop is currently offline  jimbop
Viscount
Looks nice. Where is the info on this? Specs, drivers, price, etc? How does this compare to the Seven-series? What are the differences? Why isn't it on the website? Blah, blah, blah...

Re: Questions [message #48695 is a reply to message #48694] Thu, 26 January 2006 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
It's on the website. Look under the Thermionic series.

Re: Stop it Wayne! [message #48696 is a reply to message #48693] Thu, 26 January 2006 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I like them too. I'm having a pair built with a two-tone wood finish. I'm wanting a look sort of like the old tube radios, not so much in styling but in wood contrasts. Cabinet makers in the 1940's did cool stuff with two-tone woods and pin striping and what not, and that's the look we're going for with mine. Trouble is I have the wood shop going full tilt on other stuff now, so they don't have time to start on my eight π loudspeakers yet. I would have loved to have taken them to GPAF 2006 this May, and I suppose that's a possibility, but I think it's probably too optimistic. Besides, I don't want to rush them, I can always show them next year at GPAF 2007. The walnut Pro four π's that will be there sound great and look very nice, and the seven π's will be there 'cause they're favorites of mine.

Re: Stop it Wayne! [message #48697 is a reply to message #48696] Thu, 26 January 2006 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Can't wait to see them done. My Grandfather had a set of speakers made out of the same wood his built in bookshelves and stuff were made of when he had his house built years ago. Great big things, like 48"x24"x36". They laid on the long side. Had Altec drivers in them and everything. One of the myriad of equipment that got thrown away when he died. Tubes, amps, oscilloscopes, test equipment, ham radio stuff--you name it. I wasn't around at the time and everyone thought it was outdated junk.

I want to get some vintage style grill cloth for my Towers. I love the look of that old tweed and woven cane stuff.

By the way, how do the 8's and 7's compare as far as bass, soundstage, etc.....

Re: Stop it Wayne! [message #48699 is a reply to message #48697] Thu, 26 January 2006 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow, I can't believe your grandfather's equipment got thrown out when he died. I'll bet you wish you had been there to gather it up.

As for the sevens and eights, there really is no comparison. Seven π's use a much larger and more expensive dedicated woofer whereas eight π's use the same midwoofer for bass and mids. So the seven π cornerhorn is a better speaker. But the eight π is no slouch, especially for its cost. It sounds good, doesn't require corner placement and I also think it's really cool looking.

Previous Topic: Tweeter voice coil
Next Topic: 2 Pi Towers with PSD2002 crossed over at 1.6Khz
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:41:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout