Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » The Most Powerful Subwoofer in the World
The Most Powerful Subwoofer in the World [message #47986] Sat, 15 October 2005 03:59 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The 12π basshorn subwoofer was proven to be the most powerful subwoofer in the world at the recent Prosound Shootout. Distortion is also incredibly low, due to the push-pull arrangement. A single 12π basshorn generated 117dB at 10 meters, which is 137dB at 1 meter. Compare this with a pair of Servodrive BT-7 hornsubs at 136dB.

12π basshorn subwoofer

Only one 12π hornsub was measured, but according to models, a pair should run 143dB maximum output at one meter and a group of 4 should provide 149dB, with flat response +/-2dB from 30Hz to 125Hz. Single horn response is very good, but it is improved even more in groups, with deepest 30Hz bass output lifted to the 100Hz level.

See the chart below. Measurements were taken at 10 meters, so add 20dB to find the SPL at 1 meter. The blue line is is output with 65 volts input, roughly 1600 watts. In my recent tests of the heat exchanger, I found that the speaker can handle this level of contstant input power. Also notice the low distortion levels, which are shown by the violet line in the graph. Distortion is low across the entire range, but a particularly intersting feature is the low distortion below the horn flare frequency.

π basshorn subwoofer at 1600 watts

The distortion of most horns rises dramatically below cutoff, but that is not the case with the 12π basshorn subwoofer. Other basshorns make a chuffing sound when driven below cutoff. It sometimes sounds like a helicopter blade. What you hear are actually harmonics of the fundamental without the fundamental being present at all. The 12π does not suffer increased distortion at low frequencies, and is completely dead quiet deep into cutoff below 20Hz. As frequency rises to the 30Hz level and above, output rises steadily. At that point, the bass was loud enough to vibrate the entire countryside, modulating voices to the point that conversation was impossible.

Re: The Most Powerful Subwoofer in the World [message #47987 is a reply to message #47986] Sat, 15 October 2005 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The Prosound Shootout provided a proof-of-concept test for the 12π basshorn. In fact, that is what prompted me to arrange this event. I wanted to test the new 12π prototype, but thought it would be nice to invite others too, and make it a testing session. Kind of fun that way.

I had already tested the heat exchanger on the woofers in free air, so I had a pretty good idea of what they would do. But while I had performed a destructive test on a woofer having no heat exchanger, I still hadn't seen a failure yet on a device with a heat exchanger. So there were two failure modes I wanted to see, to know the limits of the device. One was failure after extended periods, what I'm calling heat soak failure. The other was an instantaneous failure, one caused by extreme power levels provided to a relatively cool voice coil, one that hadn't been heat soaked.

We had intended to run a 15 minute heat soak period at the Prosound Shootout, which isn't really enough to truly saturate the drivers, but would provide enough heating to see what changes in performance resulted. But we realized after the first battery of tests that we may not have time to do them. So we omited the heat soak test.

Realizing that I could not heat soak, I decided to push the 12π basshorn well above its limits, to find the instantaneous failure level. We were able to run at 73.5v input (roughly 2000 watts), but failed at 80.5 volts input, approximately 2400 watts. From this, I would say the 12π basshorn subwoofer is able to handle 1600 watts RMS continuous, and 2000 watts peak.

Mechanical limits were never reached, with some extreme power sweeps starting at 10Hz. The driver did not sound strained at any power level, and it never reached a point of mechanical interference. The thermal limits were greatly increased using the heat exchanger, and distortion is reduced because of the push-pull configuration and horn loading. Distortion is incredibly low at safe power levels, and even at extreme over-limit power levels averages 30dB below the fundamental (approximately 3%) through the passband.

π basshorn subwoofer at 2000 watts

π basshorn subwoofer at 2400 watts

Re: The Most Powerful Subwoofer in the World [message #47988 is a reply to message #47987] Sat, 15 October 2005 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rajeev is currently offline  Rajeev
Chancellor
Great Job WAYANE you have done it ,
CONGURATULATIONS
Rajeev

Re: The Most Powerful Subwoofer in the World [message #47989 is a reply to message #47987] Sat, 15 October 2005 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leland Crooks is currently offline  Leland Crooks
Master
It was incredibly clean, and LOUD. Don't you think the prior tests up to 2400 would have provided heat sink enough. The heatsink plates weren't warming much, but if you touched the bolt it was hot. So they were doing their job.

Are you going to post the rest on the prosound site? I don't want to steal any thunder by putting it on the Fitzmaurice site until you post it up.

Leland

Re: The Most Powerful Subwoofer in the World [message #47990 is a reply to message #47989] Sat, 15 October 2005 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm working on the rest of the data right now. I really thought I'd have it all compiled before anyone woke up, but I guess not. Give me another hour or two and I'll post photos and test data in the ProSpeakers forum, with a link to it on the Prosound Shootout website. Then we can all comment on what we learned as well.

About the power levels, I wanted to see if I could reach a mechanical limit or if failure was always the result of thermal stress. I also want to find what the limits are in various conditions. So far, I have not been able to create a mechanical failure, they've all been thermal whether by heat soak or instantaneous burst.

Re: The Most Powerful Subwoofer in the World [message #47991 is a reply to message #47988] Sat, 15 October 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I was kind of startled, to be honest. I knew the 12π would perform well, but it outdid my expectations. It's big, but you don't need many of them. It's just an absolute brute.

Re: The Most Powerful Subwoofer in the World [message #47992 is a reply to message #47990] Sat, 15 October 2005 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leland Crooks is currently offline  Leland Crooks
Master
I work 6 days a week, always up early. That's what I get for owning my own business.

Re: The Most Powerful Subwoofer in the World [message #47993 is a reply to message #47986] Sat, 15 October 2005 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Walt is currently offline  Walt
Chancellor
Hello Wayne,

Is the small dip at 40Hz also present at 1W input? If not that dip may indicate some sort of powerdip. My AJ-horn software shows this powerdip at the same place. But Tako has already shown that computermodels may be off.

Nice to hear the 12pi did very well.

Best regards,

Walt

Re: The Most Powerful Subwoofer in the World [message #47994 is a reply to message #47992] Sat, 15 October 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I know whatcha mean. Every candle in the house is burned on both ends.

Sure was good to meet you and hang out. I hope to see you again in May at the Great Plains Audiofest, and also at next year's Prosound Shootout.

Re: The Most Powerful Subwoofer in the World [message #47995 is a reply to message #47993] Sat, 15 October 2005 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Walt is currently offline  Walt
Chancellor
By the way I think the reducing of the frontchamber volume was very important for your design. Generally a too large frontchamer gives a non-flat response.

I would like to see a graph which compares the 12pi to the Tuba 36. I think the 12pi should be 5-10dB louder in its operating range when driven at full power

Best regards,

Walt

Previous Topic: subwoofer for my 4Pi
Next Topic: Speaker Insulation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 03:09:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers