Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » corner horns for JBL 2245H
corner horns for JBL 2245H [message #47875] Tue, 04 October 2005 21:07 Go to next message
Don Reid is currently offline  Don Reid
Esquire
Dear Mr. Parham:

I have a pair of JBL 2245H 18" woofers I have enjoyed using in huge bass reflex enclosures of my own design since the early 1980s. Recently I have made a pair of Oris 150 horns driven by AER MD3s (with Fostex T900A horn tweeters already purchased and soon to be added) my main speakers with the bass horns of Klipschorns handling the frequencies below 160Hz.

I wish to find a good design for corner horns using my JBL 2245Hs as drivers. I am considering your SevenPi corner horns, but compared to the Klipschorn corner horns they appear to be simple to the point of being simpleminded. Also when I read the TS frequency response graphs for the SevenPi the expected performance seems to mark them as serious underachievers. Am I missing something here? Please comment on my concerns about your design.

Sincerely,
Don Reid

Re: corner horns for JBL 2245H [message #47876 is a reply to message #47875] Wed, 05 October 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'll tell you what. Put a pair of Professional seven π-18's up against a pair of Klipschorns and see which ones you like best. Since you already have the woofers, you might try them out and make the comparison yourself. As you've noticed, seven π-18's are pretty easy to build, definitely easier than Klipschorns so you have nothing to lose.

I like Klipschorns a lot but I don't think they're nearly as good as seven π cornerhorns. The Klipsch parts aren't as good, the crossover isn't as good and the sound isn't as good. I think this is most true in the lower mids and the deepest bass at any volume level, but when pushed hard, the difference is even more pronounced. The seven π-18 loudspeakers are cleaner and more powerful, and they just sound better to me.

Re: corner horns for JBL 2245H [message #47877 is a reply to message #47876] Wed, 05 October 2005 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don Reid is currently offline  Don Reid
Esquire
Dear Mr. Parham:

I apologize for what some might perceive to be an excessively disparaging or even testy tone to my first post. I am a brain damaged rapid cycling manic depressive, and this sometimes makes me a bit abrasive.

If I am reading the plots on your website correctly the plot for the JBL 18" driver in a Pi Alignment shows it to be a full Bel down at around 45 Hz. I am guessing that this does not reflect room boost, but I don't know. Also is this the 7Pi corner horn alignment?

Do you know or could you give me an educated guess of what sort of deep bass response I could reasonably expect from my JBL 2245H 18" woofers in extremely strongly constructed 7Pi corner horns in a good room?

Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,
Don Reid

Re: corner horns for JBL 2245H [message #47882 is a reply to message #47877] Wed, 05 October 2005 17:17 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There are no charts posted online of a 2245H in a seven π-18 cabinet. You may have seen a chart for a 2241, which is tuned higher. A 2245 in a seven π-18 cabinet has f3 of 33Hz and f10 of 27Hz, without considering room gain. The JBL 2241 and 2242 are also suitable, and they each sound very good in a seven π-18 loudspeaker.

Previous Topic: What speakers would be best for my room?
Next Topic: plans request
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 23:31:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout