Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » What speakers would be best for my room?
What speakers would be best for my room? [message #47857] Tue, 04 October 2005 08:10 Go to next message
imahawki is currently offline  imahawki
Chancellor

I'm attaching a picture of my room. Its under construction/modification in this picture but its the only one I have access to. Everything is setup so that the sweet spot is basically in line with those two ceiling lights. I use a front projector and there is now a screen on the front wall roughly in between where those speakers currently sit.

As you can see both the overall width of the room (25', 22' to the stairs) and the placement of the stairs on the left, precludes the use of corner horns IMO. There is also a short equipment rack between my speakers. I compensate for this now by pulling my speakers out from the wall quite a bit but I keep reading about Pi's being designed for certain placement. Would I want to go with a bass reflex design up against the front wall? Would having that rack in there (it has to stay) impact the sound dramatically? Also, I have two sperate front ends right now (DVD player, HT receiver, amp for HT vs. Arcam integrated, Arcam CD Player, Music Hall TT for stere) I'm interested in building a pair of high sensitivity speakers for use with stereo and keeping my Mirages for use with home theater.

Thoughts? I'm currently interested in the Theater 4s but am seeking input on what might be better options for my room.

Re: What speakers would be best for my room? [message #47863 is a reply to message #47857] Tue, 04 October 2005 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'd suggest Audiophile Series seven π or seven π-18 speakers. If the left corner isn't suitable, then you might make the bass bin as a standard reflex box like used for the four π cabinet.

The Theater three or four π loudspeaker is very nice too, and is a little less expensive and easier to build. Other good options include the eight π and two π tower loudspeakers.

Re: What speakers would be best for my room? [message #47865 is a reply to message #47863] Tue, 04 October 2005 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Is there any specific reason why you are recomending the Audiophile series. I mean, clearly with the price difference (~$500 a pair vs. ~$900 a pair) there would be some sonic benefits, but I'm wondering what specifically made those jump to mind for you.

Thanks

Re: What speakers would be best for my room? [message #47867 is a reply to message #47865] Tue, 04 October 2005 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The woofer has a shorting ring for reduced bass distortion and the midhorn reduces midrange distortion. The Audiophile Series speakers are top of the line and really sound nice.

Re: What speakers would be best for my room? [message #47868 is a reply to message #47867] Tue, 04 October 2005 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
So would the 15" and 10" driver both be mounted on a front baffle of the unit or would I do something else with the 10"? And then would the tweeter horn be mounted on top or would the tweeter go inside the cabinet too (like the Theater Fours)?

Re: What speakers would be best for my room? [message #47869 is a reply to message #47868] Tue, 04 October 2005 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor

I.e. it looks like you dont make this model any more, but I'm wondering if it would look like this picture or if the tweeter would go inside the box or if I'd have a horn for the 10" (= more money right) etc, etc.

Re: What speakers would be best for my room? [message #47870 is a reply to message #47869] Tue, 04 October 2005 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You could do something like that. I'd use the midhorn, tweeter and crossover as shown in the seven π plans. The woofer needs to be within a couple feet (front to back) of the midhorn for proper summing, which is fairly easy. Spacing between midhorn and tweeter is more critical, but the design is optimized so that they sum perfectly when the mouths are flush. That arrangement makes both acoustics and aesthetics very nice.

seven π cornerhorn loudspeaker

Re: What speakers would be best for my room? [message #47871 is a reply to message #47870] Tue, 04 October 2005 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Could you send me the plans for the 7s and the theater fours then to look at?

thanks

You've got mail! [message #47872 is a reply to message #47871] Tue, 04 October 2005 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Re: FWIW Theatre 4 placement [message #47873 is a reply to message #47872] Tue, 04 October 2005 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I thought I liked my Theatre 4's placed just like 87dB speakers with lots of space out from the front and side walls. Then I discovered how much better it was to have them in the corners firing out about 30 degrees. But coincidentally I happened to try them away from the side walls but up against the back wall and toed in about 10 degrees and that was really good. But of course I found a reason to move them once again to the corners.
Wherever you put them it is a very 'forgiving' speaker. Not as clear as the 2226 down low but more 'grunt' in the bass, deeper. The PSD 2002 is likewise less detailed than the JBL but very easy to listen to. You might consider using the Peavey CH-3 horn with some vintage Altec 802-806-808, etc compreassion drivers. They're not expensive on E-Bay. Later, the 2226 is a drop in replacement for the Delta. SAme screw holes, even.

Previous Topic: Bypass capacitor calculation
Next Topic: corner horns for JBL 2245H
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 17 19:32:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout