Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Sonic signature
Sonic signature [message #47839] Sun, 02 October 2005 16:09 Go to next message
imahawki is currently offline  imahawki
Chancellor
How would you describe the sonic signature of the Pi speakers. I'm interested in the Theater Four's but I loathe bright, shouty speakers. Is there anyone in the Omaha Nebraska area that has built a pair?

Re: Sonic signature [message #47840 is a reply to message #47839] Sun, 02 October 2005 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GrantMarshall is currently offline  GrantMarshall
Viscount

When you buy speakers at a store and don't know how to change anything you can get "shouty bright" speakers. Wayne designed these speakers and did a lot of testing to choose components that work together. If you happened to find them shouty for under $10 he could tell you how to adjust them.

If you haven't seen a good high efficiency speaker yet the second question about wanting to listen to a pair is a GREAT question. Most people get this pleasure at "Big Screen, Big Sound" places. Then there are those that like big sound all the time :-). That would be the signature of a nice set of Pi 4's.

Best wishes on your search for demo models.

Grant.

Re: Sonic signature [message #47841 is a reply to message #47840] Sun, 02 October 2005 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I actually just got back from the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest and some of the designs I heard there have me at least investigating some big, high-efficiency systems. I think a Pi kit might be on the short list as it looks like a pair of theater four's could be built for $500-$550ish which is a lot of speaker for that money.

Re: Sonic signature [message #47842 is a reply to message #47841] Sun, 02 October 2005 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
if you're looking for value, it's very hard to beat.... I just built some Stage 4's and they sound great. What kiind of amp do you have?

Re: Sonic signature [message #47844 is a reply to message #47842] Mon, 03 October 2005 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Right now I'm using an Arcam A85 integrated, but if I built a pair of high effeciency speakers, I'd probably consider an SET amp (like a bottlehead kit).

On a side note, for music, I listen to new rock, classic rock, jazz (old, new, swing, big band, etc.) blues, and some pop (Think Maroon 5, DMB, Gavin Degraw, John Mayer etc.). Basically everything except classical (though I DO listen to that too, just not as often.) My main concern is definately that these speakers be dynamic, which I think is a safe bet based on the design, but that they are very non-fatiguing to listen to.

Re: Sonic signature [message #47845 is a reply to message #47844] Mon, 03 October 2005 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I own Pi Theater 4's for about three years now. I have used them with SET's/PP tubes/class A SS/and a Carver amp as well as several ss recievers. If there is anyway I can help give us a shout. I will say the Arcam would make a great combo with these; I found my Luxman M-120 SS amp to really bring out the musicality in these speakers. And in my experience you can listen for hours without fatique.
I am used to good british mini-monitors that are very smooth and the Pi's are equally so. Unless you want to experiment with tubes but in my opinion you may like the Arcam better. The sheer musical prescence and body on the sound of these speakers is a joy to hear.

Re: Sonic signature [message #47846 is a reply to message #47845] Mon, 03 October 2005 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks for the reply. Good information. I definately wouldn't jump the gun on switching amplification. If I ended up with the Theater Four's I'd not be switching out amps for several months.

Re: Sonic signature [message #47847 is a reply to message #47846] Mon, 03 October 2005 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
although I don't have the Theatre 4's but the Stage 4's, but as said above, it's a different package with a larger SS amp vs. SET. I listen with upgraded Bottlehead Paramours, but used SS to help break them in. You'll have either option if you go this route, and ultimatley it's a matter of preference. They are very smooth, clear, and detailed, but none of what I'd call "shout", even though the dynamics will proably be even better than you'd expect.

Re: Sonic signature [message #47849 is a reply to message #47841] Mon, 03 October 2005 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GrantMarshall is currently offline  GrantMarshall
Viscount

I'll give you fair warning though. If you've never built your own before this can be an addictive hobby. There are a large number of semi deaf people that can attest to the pitfalls associated with it. Then there's the drooling response when you see what some of the other builders are doing. Very embarassing.

Enjoy, what ever your choice is.

Grant.

On the bad side ... [message #47852 is a reply to message #47845] Mon, 03 October 2005 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
You wouldn't find a shortage of praise for these speakers, but thought I'll balance it out with one of the drawbacks. The speakers will reward you for using a good amp and punish you for using a crappy one.

I had a set of Polk's floorstanders for HT before I built my Theater-3. The Polks sounded pretty much the same with my Sony A/V reciever, tube amp, and gainclone. Plugged the Theatre-3 to the Sony A/V and the sound is tolerable at best. Powered by the gainclone or my tube amp, the speakers are very musical. But it sounds like you're one the right path for amp selection.

Gar.

Previous Topic: Question about Audiophile series
Next Topic: Woofer cooling device - Destructive test
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 11:46:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers