Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » ORIS / 10 Pi
ORIS / 10 Pi [message #47724] Sun, 11 September 2005 09:31 Go to next message
Scott L is currently offline  Scott L
Chancellor
Wayne,

I had printed and saved an old post ( from the looney bin ) by "Shanko" reporting how much he loved the Oris/ 10 Pi combo. Obviously, that was a few years ago, but, my interest has been re-kindled upon the discovery of this document. I don't see a 10 Pi now offered, so I was wondering which current model would be close?
Re: ORIS / 10 Pi [message #47725 is a reply to message #47724] Sun, 11 September 2005 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You could still build that model, although I'd prefer a seven π bass bin. It's the same thing but using a lot smaller cabinet, since the walls form most of the acoustic features of the horn.

Re: ORIS / 10 Pi [message #47815 is a reply to message #47725] Tue, 27 September 2005 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shanko is currently offline  Shanko
Chancellor
Don't know if anyone will read this (as I have found this posting pretty late) but..

I still enjoy my Oris/10Pi combo. A friend built an Oris replica and tried a Seven Pi loaded with an Altec 421 15" - he wasn't overjoyed with the result and has gone to a BD Design BD15 driver. Better, but he was still wanting deeper bass so is building a big bass reflex for the BD15.

Upshot of all that is maybe the seven Pi is the way to go - but I would use the JBL 2226. If you want to try different or vintage drivers, maybe the 10Pi is the better bet. Just my speculation based on my own and my friend's experiences.

Re: ORIS / 10 Pi [message #47817 is a reply to message #47815] Wed, 28 September 2005 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm still running my ten π's too. I have a very nice pair of seven π's, but since my living room doesn't have the right corners, I can't use the seven π's there. The ten π's have been great for me, but they are huge. Not as big as the new 12π basshorn though...

The Altec 421 isn't made for the deepest bass response. It makes a nice midbass/midrange driver though and would probably work reasonably well in a seven π. It just wouldn't generate much bass. That's really due to the driver's specs more than anything else.

Might try putting those BD15's in π cornerhorns instead. The BD15 woofer will work very nicely in the bass bin from a Professional or Audiophile series seven π loudspeaker, so one could stuff the bass cabinet with the BD15 woofer and put Oris horns on top instead of the π midhorn and tweeter.

The JBL 2226 sounds great in the seven π cornerhorn, as does the Eminence Magnum 15HO or Omega 15. I'm sure that the BD15 would sound excellent in that system too, response looks good and distortion must be low because of its neodymium magnet structure.

Re: ORIS / 10 Pi [message #86614 is a reply to message #47817] Mon, 20 November 2017 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dabeatisflo is currently offline  dabeatisflo
Esquire
Hello I'd like the plans of the ten Pi

Is that possible?

index.php?t=getfile&id=2016&private=0
Re: ORIS / 10 Pi [message #86619 is a reply to message #86614] Tue, 21 November 2017 09:17 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You've got mail!

Do bear in mind that design is long obsoleted now though.

Previous Topic: Plans request
Next Topic: 4 pi plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:49:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout