Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » "...It was 20 years ago today,....."
"...It was 20 years ago today,....." [message #47671] Mon, 05 September 2005 19:24 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Actually, it was May 11th, last, that I received the 2Pi upgrade tweeters. Finally, tonight, I'm listening to one completed 2 Pi Tower.
It's unashamedly standing in front of the JBL 2226/Altec 806 right channel and sounding damn good. Very single driver-ish coherence.

Re: "...It was 20 years ago today,....." [message #47676 is a reply to message #47671] Mon, 05 September 2005 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I dig 'em too. Thanks for posting.

Bill strikes again! [message #47687 is a reply to message #47676] Wed, 07 September 2005 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Bill,

I can't wait to come and hear them!

ROn

Re: Nope! No strikes! Wayne hits the 2Pi Tower outa here [message #47695 is a reply to message #47687] Wed, 07 September 2005 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Both 2 Pi Towers are running strong now and the first word that comes to mind is "smooth". Let's face it, our beloved Altec and to a lesser extent JBL horns can get kinda strident at times. What naysayer's call 'Horn Shout'.
They sound a lot like the way I remember my Meadowlark Kestrels sounding except with more bass. From that cheapo 'musical instrument speaker' Alpha 10. I'm listening to the Altec 902 driver with Martinelli Horn/JBL 2226 while I'm typing this and there is more air and detail and dynamics than the Towers. There'd better be with the components costing about 8 times as much! But Norah Jones voice which gets congested and raspy at times with the horns is just smoooth with the Vifa tweeter.
There's more happening in the room detail-wise with the horns but the Towers image better. Trade-offs.
Bass is more tuneful with the 2226's and a little more 'one-note with the ALpha. But you can follow the bass line if you listen for it.
So here you have $50 bucks worth of MDF, half a $10 dollar roll of insulation and $160 for the drivers, wires and crossovers. You don't even need a port tube! And voices and instruments sound so good.

Re: Nope! No strikes! Wayne hits the 2Pi Tower outa here [message #47696 is a reply to message #47695] Wed, 07 September 2005 19:05 Go to previous message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Bill, yer killin' me!

Man, o man, I need to get mine finished!

Previous Topic: Holy Massive Tweeter, Batman!
Next Topic: Donate to the Red Cross. get Speaker Cables
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 15:25:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout