Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » HT questions and 7pi.
HT questions and 7pi. [message #47514] Sat, 20 August 2005 09:08 Go to next message
Kim Schultz is currently offline  Kim Schultz
Viscount
Hi Wayne.

I have a dedicated HT room in the basement with the following dimensions: (WxDxH) 4.38m x 5.48m x 2.35m

And I want to use 7pi´s as front, and make a center speaker with the same tweeter horn, and pi midhorn and a bassbox with the same woofer.

1) Would it be best to set up the front speakers on the short or the long wall ?

2)Would the 7pi´s overpower my room if I used them as rear speakers too?

3) Are the 7pi´s too forward sounding for rear speakers, would I be better off with a direct radiator speaker for this?

Placing the front speakers on the short wall will make the listening position in the middle of the room, and the rear speakers placed behind the listing position.
While placing them on the long wall, the couch would have to be up against the backwall and the rear´s too. Dont know how much this matters though.

Regards
Kim

Re: HT questions and 7pi. [message #47522 is a reply to message #47514] Sat, 20 August 2005 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I would setup along the short wall. I don't think seven π's all the way around would overpower the room, but it may be worthwhile to analyze the room modes. You'll have enough speakers that you can setup for best sound averaging.

The good thing about having speakers in corners is that you know the sound eminates from the corner apex and is limited to the 90º wall angle, consistently for each speaker. But with four speakers in a relatively small room, it might be good to shift the bass bins forward or inward a bit from the rear wall, to average the sound field and possibly fill in a null that might have otherwise formed. So take a minute to look at the references below, and you may want to spend some time and do an analysis of your room. That way you'll know if you want four identical seven π speakers in each corner, or if you'll want to move bass bin of the rear pair forward or something.

• Loudspeakers and Rooms - Working Together
  • Whitepaper: Loudspeakers and Rooms for Multichannel Audio Reproduction, Part 1
  • Whitepaper: Loudspeakers and Rooms for Multichannel Audio Reproduction, Part 2
  • Whitepaper: Loudspeakers and Rooms for Multichannel Audio Reproduction, Part 3
  • Whitepaper: The Acoustical Design of Home Theaters
  • Whitepaper: Audio - Science in the Service of Art
  • Whitepaper: How Many Channels Do We Need To Believe That We Are "There"?

• Re: HT questions and 7pi. [message #47524 is a reply to message #47522] Sat, 20 August 2005 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
    Kim Schultz is currently offline  Kim Schultz
    Viscount
    Thx Wayne.

I suspected the short wall was the way to go for placing the front on. And I like to have the rear´s behind me instead of to the sides.

With analysis, do you mean calculating the room modes?

I have a Dlsa measuring system can I use that for anything room related?

regards
    Kim

Re: HT questions and 7pi. [message #47530 is a reply to message #47524] Sun, 21 August 2005 12:43 Go to previous message
    Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
    Illuminati (33rd Degree)

What you might want to do is to model the room matehmatically, to get an idea of what you're working with. Then maybe once you get close and have everything built and installed, you can make measurements at several positions to fine tune the installation.

Check out Loudspeakers and Rooms, Part 3. It goes into the treatment of room modes in some detail. The Room Mode Calculator mentioned on page 11 is available here. The article called Loudspeakers and Rooms - Working Together is another good article. It has pretty much the same infromation, but it's presented a little bit differently.

Previous Topic: Lowther driver in the midrange horn
    Next Topic: A few pics to share
    Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:25:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
    DIY Audio Projects
    OddWatt Audio
    OddWatt Audio
    Pi Speakers
    Pi Speakers
    Prosound Shootout