Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Wayne, Does the TAD TD-4001 need top octave compensation?
Wayne, Does the TAD TD-4001 need top octave compensation? [message #47308] Thu, 14 July 2005 11:02 Go to next message
Mikey is currently offline  Mikey
Chancellor
From the blurb at the Pioneer website, it would seem like it does not:

"The TD-4001 successfully achieves all the design objectives we set forth -
very high efficiency, wide and perfectly flat response from 600Hz to 20kHz, and low distortion."

I'm currently using JBL 2446J's, with T.O.C. built into my passive crossover.

I feel a compression driver upgrade coming on soon, and it would be
easier to rationalize the $$$ if I could simplify the crossover.

Re: Wayne, Does the TAD TD-4001 need top octave compensation? [message #47309 is a reply to message #47308] Thu, 14 July 2005 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Compression driver EQ depends on the horn chosen. The driver itself is the culprit, but the horn may provide some acoustic equalization via collapsing DI. The thing to look at is plane wave tube response.

I've used the TAD 4001, and found that it does benefit from top octave compensation, but not as much as the JBL 2446. Some people use the TAD 4001 on horns that provide enough EQ acoustically, but this means that polar response suffers. For stereo HiFi use, I prefer to use horns that have collapsing DI in the vertical and a constant 90° coverage angle in the horizontal axis. This provides a good compromise solution, requiring less electrical EQ and making compensation fairly simple.

Well, two options for the horn.... [message #47310 is a reply to message #47309] Thu, 14 July 2005 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
immediately come to mind:

1. Mount the drivers to my existing JBL 2380A horns
2. Replace the horns with the (seemingly) ideal mate, the TAD TH-4001
(or close equivalent)

Will either of these two horns allow me to eliminate the T.O.C.?

Mike

Re: Well, two options for the horn.... [message #47311 is a reply to message #47310] Thu, 14 July 2005 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I can't say for the TAD horn, but with the 2380, response is flatter if equalized. They sound pretty good without it though, so you might like them that way.

These drivers hold their resale value very well. You could buy them and try them without much risk, particularly if you buy a good used pair.

Thanks for the help Wayne! (nt) [message #47312 is a reply to message #47311] Thu, 14 July 2005 14:35 Go to previous message
Chancellor
nt

Previous Topic: Thermionic plans
Next Topic: possibly silly question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 06:58:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio