Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Amp selection for 2 Pi Towers.
Amp selection for 2 Pi Towers. [message #47124] Wed, 15 June 2005 13:48 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
After emailing with Wayne about the 2 pi towers, he has suggested looking at the Stoetkit Jr. as a good amp to drive these. I am looking at spending $1k -$1.2k on an amp, preamp, and phono stage (have to have the turntable-MM cart)and this is my first real foray into tubes so I'm not going to drop a big load of money to start off with. I have looked at the Nohr Se18 which has all this in one unit, Bottlehead seperates, the Stoet, and several others including Jolida and such. Any suggestions from Pi users would be greatly appreciated. I realize everyones tastes vary, so here's what I typically listen to: blues, classic and newer rock, some classical, and jazz---there, a little bit of everything!!). I've also just read the thread on possibly being able to "upgrade" the 2 pi's later on depending on how I build the cabinets. This is also one more thing in the mix. Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions...Shane

Re: Amp selection for 2 Pi Towers. [message #47127 is a reply to message #47124] Wed, 15 June 2005 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Just checked the Norh. Total no-brainer if the amp section sounds as good as the SE-9 and Barnes is as clever with the fono as with the rest of his stuff. $800 delivered from Thailand? Nice.
The 2 Pi's I built sounded great with the Ella. It and many other 40 watt integrated push pulls are $500 to $800 and you can build the hagerman Cornet for $300. I just ordered the board.
I would trust the new Bottlehead SEX amp and Seduction to be quieter than previuos ET offerings and the price is very right.

Re: Amp selection for 2 Pi Towers. [message #47130 is a reply to message #47124] Wed, 15 June 2005 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Ask Frank over at the FSAudio forum if he'll send you the Stoetkit demo unit to try out. If he doesn't have it anymore, you might be able to talk me into shipping you mine for a trial, if you promise to be real careful with it. I'm quite fond of that little amp and find myself listening to it more than any other.

Re: Amp selection for 2 Pi Towers. [message #47131 is a reply to message #47130] Wed, 15 June 2005 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I saw where Frank had an amp going around. I'll see if he still has one he's using as a demo model.

Re: Amp selection for 2 Pi Towers. [message #47133 is a reply to message #47124] Thu, 16 June 2005 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gumby1 is currently offline  gumby1
Viscount
I've used my 2 Pi Towers with a Dynaco ST-70, Bottlehead Paramours, Onkyo SS, and Carver amps. I prefer the Carver over all the others. Having owned both tube gear and solid state, I definitely prefer solid state. If you are interested in building a solid state amp, I would recommend Seal Electronics distributed by Brad Wilson in Canada. He can be contacted at bradwilson@telus.net

Re: Amp selection for 2 Pi Towers. [message #47134 is a reply to message #47133] Thu, 16 June 2005 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I agree with you - I've heard some really nice solid state amps too. Modern tube amps are very nice, but I sure won't turn my nose up at a good solid state system. I've heard great amps of both types.

Re: Amp selection for 2 Pi Towers. [message #47135 is a reply to message #47134] Thu, 16 June 2005 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I'm definitely not turning my nose up at SS. I currently am using a Carver Receiver in a second system that I got way back in the mid 80's and a vintage Kenwood Integrated amp for my main running some old Polk's. I actually prefer the Kenwood over the Carver. I've heard a few tube systems and would like to give them a try. If they don't work out, sell, and upgrade to good SS.

Re: Amp selection for 2 Pi Towers. [message #47136 is a reply to message #47135] Thu, 16 June 2005 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm with you. I like some amps of both types, and of course, some I like better than others. I have several good solid state amps and several good tube amps. My solid state amps are from 15 watts to 2000 watts, and I like them a lot. My tube amps are all around 8 to 12 watts, and they're great sounding too.

The thing about tube amps is that they are art as much as they are electronics. SET amps have a lush midrange that's irresistable, but they generally lack bass control. Push-Pull tube amps are a little more like solid state, in that they have better bass control and are sometimes more tonally balanced, but they don't do vocals like SET amps do.

That little Stoetkit I enjoy so much has nearly SET-like midrange with nearly solid-state-like bass, plus it looks really cool. It uses an amplifier configuration called ultra-linear, which is a push-pull type. It has sweet vocals and tight bass, and has plenty of power too.

I love to listen to music through the two π's and the Stoetkit, and it also has enough power to watch action movies. It has plenty of power, so you won't even push it hard in a room of a couple hundred square feet.

So those are the reasons I suggested the Stoetkit for your two π towers. I've been smitten with the combination and find myself drawn to it. It sounds absolutely fabulous on my seven π's too.

Re: Amp selection for 2 Pi Towers. [message #47137 is a reply to message #47136] Thu, 16 June 2005 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Wayne, what would be a suggestion for a phono stage for the Stoetkit? I was thinking of the Bottlehead if I went with an int. amp that didn't have the phono stage because of the good reviews.

Re: Amp selection for 2 Pi Towers. [message #47138 is a reply to message #47137] Thu, 16 June 2005 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's a good question, and I'm still looking, to tell the truth. Right now, I'm using the phono stage in a NAD C160. I have a brand-new Seduction kit with the constant current options, still in the box ready for me to assemble. So I could go that route. I've spoken to Poindexter about an AudioTropic phono stage. And I've considered homebrew.

I want a phono stage that has good components and that looks good, so I'm kinda being choosy. It's a small circuit, so it shouldn't be much money to do it right. Until I've found one I'm happy with, I'm prepared to settle with what I've got.

There are some very inexpensive phono stage amps you could use to get you started, while you're still looking. Who knows, your starter phono stage may be the one you end up liking best. Something like the Hagerman Bugle or even a Radio Shack phono stage would get you by while you continue your search. Be sure to look through the posts in the Turntable forum for more ideas too.

Previous Topic: Pi 4 Theater with Coral H30 Horn Tweeter 3-20kHz 94dB/W-m
Next Topic: Big Amp mating with a 4 Pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 11:49:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout