Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » More and more speakers and horns!!!!
More and more speakers and horns!!!! [message #46713] Thu, 14 April 2005 11:01 Go to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Gang,

I'm hear to tell you all that I have gone "bonkers" again and will be trying out the midhorn and Delta 10 driver in my fortress/museum of old and ancient audio gear.

I called up Wayne the other day about speakers and stuff, the longer I talked, the more I wanted to buy. Long story short, I will be able to hear how this 300hz to 2khz horn system sounds.

I know Bill Epsteins will look nicer(cuz he's Bill the woodworker), and sound nicer(he took the 2123 road). But I will have to work to get my close as can be for the poor man's version.

Thanks Wayne, always a pleasure to discuss audio and life in general!!!

Ron

Re: More and more speakers and horns!!!! [message #46714 is a reply to message #46713] Thu, 14 April 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Ron,

It can't look worst than mine. Made from unpainted 1/8" MDF, held together with liquid nail.

Gar.

Damn! [message #46715 is a reply to message #46714] Thu, 14 April 2005 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Bill E. gets to show all of us up!!! LOL

Bill, are you still ill?????? time to get up and play stereo again!

Ron

Re:Second coming of Influenza and Sovtek 6922's [message #46716 is a reply to message #46715] Thu, 14 April 2005 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I've been sick since the First of March......what does it feel like to be healthy? I went to the Doc, I took my Zithromax like a good boy and Monday night I fell victim once again.

I 've got drivers and veneer in boxes and the tablesaw by the door. The sun is shining and I'm working on another box of Kleenex.

I did get rid of the shrillness on the horns, however. I had been running 6N1P's as drivers in the Ella for their greater detail but it was too much. Back to the 6922's and the tonal balance is much better. If I had some more sick time and was getting paid I'd order some JJ 6DJ8's which are supposed to be more western-European-like.

Just got up from listening to 2 full versions of the Dvorak Symph 8. Superb recent recording with Tilson-Thomas and the LSO on their own label.Overall a fine reading but then hearing the Szell/Cleveland Sony SACD, well........When you grow up hearing the Cleveland you just take for granted the incredible sonority acheived by every section while still hewing to a level of attention to detail that yields breath-taking ensemble playing.
The violins open the second movement Adagio with a gorgeous theme that is just Romantic enough to let the strings vibrate and glisten.

BTW, a certain other Woodworker named Bill, one who actually makes things, has been sending me fotos of the more and more outrageously creative works he's doing. I'm happy to get the grain of the veneer all runnning the same way.............

Bill is too humble [message #46719 is a reply to message #46716] Fri, 15 April 2005 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Bill,
I might need you to veneer my midhorns that are coming soon. I will be calling you up soon to work out details. I'm sure you need more parts(he he - evil laugh).

Ron

Option to veneer [message #46720 is a reply to message #46719] Fri, 15 April 2005 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I was playing with melimine paint over the winter for my router table and its cool stuff. Available at HD, can be tinted to any colour, and drys to a vinyl-like coating. A good way to finish MDF if you don't want to veneer. Stays tacky for two days and requires four days of drying for a hard smooth finish.

On the other hand, I just received over 100 sq ft of veneer for $6 on eBay. I'll be spending the weekend veneering anything and everything I can get my hands on.

gar.

Re:Second coming of Influenza and Sovtek 6922's [message #46721 is a reply to message #46716] Fri, 15 April 2005 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The wrong 6dj8/6922 family tube can sound very shrill. Went through that with my counterpoint pre amp. If you stumble on one, try a mullard "shield" 6922. expensive, ( I've paid from 40 to 90 dollars apiece) but so warm and nice its really an amazing tube. Gold pins and supposed to last 10,000 hours. circa 1958. These will make the modern 6922 sound sick in comparison. My 2 cents.

Russellc

Re:2 sets of Amperex 6DJ8 from E-Bay [message #46722 is a reply to message #46721] Fri, 15 April 2005 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Both tested well but became noisy with use, $25 and $40/pair respectively. You're right they sounded smoooth and spacious. Have to try the JJ's. If they don;t have some of that magic I'll just have to buy more bologna and go back to Andy Bouwman.

melimine paint [message #46723 is a reply to message #46720] Sat, 16 April 2005 06:00 Go to previous message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Gar,
Thanks for the tip. But if ask Bill Epstein about my abilities with wood and stain and all that good stuff, he can explain to you why he will do it for me. I am speaker nut, but I "bastardize" or use others cabinets.

My thing is driver/crossover implementation that I have more skill(luck) at.

Bill, Hurry up and get healthy, I have work for you to do!!!!!!!!!

Ron

Previous Topic: Pi Midhorn with FOSTEX speaker
Next Topic: Can I get away with stacking capacitors like Legos?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 18:15:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio