Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » New power amp IC's as AudioExpress
New power amp IC's as AudioExpress [message #46580] Fri, 25 March 2005 17:07 Go to next message
Chris R is currently offline  Chris R
Master
Hi Folks,
AudioExpress is now offering LM3886 IC's. These are fairly high power op-amps (40W-60W). I'm writing just to relate my experience
building one of these things. For the price of the IC, a transformer, PS capacitors, and a heat sink, you can build what
seems to be a rather uesfull power amp. The specs are nice if you
like solid state, and it takes just a few components to get it
working. National has a good datasheet on their web site with schematics. The one I built uses a 20V-20V xfmr and makes about
40W. AE has a seletion of toriod xfmrs that should work nicely.
Chris

Re: New power amp IC's as AudioExpress [message #46581 is a reply to message #46580] Fri, 25 March 2005 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Chris, you're talking about a gainclone, right?

Re: New power amp IC's as AudioExpress [message #46582 is a reply to message #46581] Sat, 26 March 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris R. is currently offline  Chris R.
Viscount
This isn't about gainclone. Its the LM3886 power opamp ICs. If I'm
counting right, it takes 2 small caps and 4 resistors plus the power
supply stuff and heatsink to make a lot of clean, quiet power.
Check the datasheet at www.national.com.
Chris

Re: New power amp IC's as AudioExpress [message #46583 is a reply to message #46582] Sat, 26 March 2005 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Hi,
I hope I am not losing it, but I couldn't find it at AudioExpress(auto sound) or AudioXpress(magazine). Can I have a link?

I did manage to locate them for 5 bucks at Part Express. (link below)

Pretty cool, might have to make a few. (preparing to active multiamp again)

Thomas

Re: New power amp IC's as AudioExpress [message #46584 is a reply to message #46583] Sat, 26 March 2005 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
Hi Cris,
How about sharing the design either here or on the class a / chip forum?
Take care,
Steve

Re: New power amp IC's as AudioExpress [message #46585 is a reply to message #46583] Sat, 26 March 2005 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Marchand Electronics has a power module kit based on the 3886. User manual and design can be downloaded on his site. A few more parts because it was designed to accomodate balanced and single ended input.

Re: New power amp IC's as AudioExpress [message #46586 is a reply to message #46585] Sun, 27 March 2005 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Thanks GarMan,
You nailed it! I was wondering if I could find a simple chip kit with balanced inputs to accomodate my crossover. The bridging might come in handy for big woofers too. Thanks a bunch!

Thomas

Re: New power amp IC's as PartsExpress [message #46587 is a reply to message #46580] Sun, 27 March 2005 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Sorry folks! The parts are at PartsExpress as noted in
the other followups below.

Chris

Re: New power amp IC's as AudioExpress [message #46588 is a reply to message #46584] Sun, 27 March 2005 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I took a look over there, and the design and schematics are
more or less them same as the other chips being discussed.
I suspect that National sells the same chips that meet different
specs as different device numbers, but internally, all are the same.

Chris

Re: New power amp IC's as AudioExpress [message #46601 is a reply to message #46586] Tue, 29 March 2005 13:36 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Thomas, if you've never seen one, Phil Marchand's PCBs are a work of art. Double-sided, teflon coated, trace lines through the solder holes, and board is thick. Ever get a hold of something so high quality, you can't put it down? Maybe it's the engineer in me, but when I received my PM224 boards, I spent a whole evening admiring it. The heatsink bracket and heatsink were perfectly machined too.

Previous Topic: Thoughts on the Fostex FW305??
Next Topic: large woofers, small room, sound quality?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 19:52:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio