Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4 Pi from the 80's
4 Pi from the 80's [message #46450] Sun, 06 March 2005 07:14 Go to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne,

I was going through my empty cabinet's and found a older 3-way that was set up for a 15" LF driver, 8" MF driver and a slot for a T-35 tweeter horn.

I had been going through old plans regarding your older model 4-Pi with JBL 2205A/2105 mids(2)/peizos(2) and looking at the cabinet specs noticed this cabinet I had was a dead ringer for your old 4 Pi system. Port size 3" dia x 10" long, and the cabinet was with 5% of your original design.

Long story short, I installed a T-35 tweeter in each, a sealed back Jensen 8" mid and my pair of 2205A's, but only connecting the 2205A's for the initial testing and left the others installed but not hooked up to fill the holes.

I did this as a "What the hell" project as I had everything. Since time was running short(Sharon on her way over to spend quality time - which speakers does not fall under), I took a Altec 500hz crossover and a 511B horn and 902 compression driver. I also threw a 15 ohm parallel resistor and series 15 ohm with .47 ufd cap(taken from Pi speaker crossover) to give some HF response.

Hooked up to solid state amp (Sansui integrated) the sound was nothing special, so hooked up the Almorro amp(6BQ5 Single-ended-pentode/5 watts/chnl) and was pretty impressed with the bottome end.

The 2205A in the EBS alignment has quite a bit of grunt. I like the 2226 better for overall sound output quality, but the 2205A in the EBS cabinet would never have you reaching for a subwoofer to run with it.

When I get the time, need to get a 1.8mh coil for the 2205A(800hz), and put my roadie(rough cabs) 811B/807(phenolic) on 3rd order hi pass(800hz), and just figure out a 2nd order for the T-35 at around 8khz to finish off the project.

I would keep the 8" Jensen in the cabinet to save finding something else to fill the hole, and the T-35 is already inside.

I would just put the 811 horn on top of the cabinet and see what gives.

Just thought I would share my experiences with your old design. If the Jensen were a better driver, I would just go with a 3-way system using everything in the cabinet. But I don't think the quality would match up with the 2205/T-35 drivers.

By the way, on another subject, waiting to receive a pair of JBL 2242 18" drivers very soon. They will be used in 9 cubic ft cabinets tuned to 30hz. These drivers are intended for use in theaters for sub-woofer duty. Only problem I will have will be breaking them in, they are rated for 800 watts, I have some plate amps from PE I will use to do that with. I never thought I would see the day I would pay a grand for a pair of drivers!!! LOL It's a obsession no doubt.

I will report later in the week how my little 3-way system turns out. Have to help friend rebuild/remodel his bathroom, drywall dust is no fun!!!

Take care, Ron

Re: 4 Pi from the 80's [message #46452 is a reply to message #46450] Sun, 06 March 2005 16:09 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That was one heck of a system. And don't be fooled by a casual inspection of the 2205 - It provided clean effortless bass and plenty of it. It's one of my favorite woofers, and seven π speakers made with 2205 woofers were truly awesome.

Previous Topic: Finally finished my One Pis
Next Topic: Review - Studio Series one pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:03:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout