Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » So how well do Pi's image
So how well do Pi's image [message #46190] Tue, 25 January 2005 18:42 Go to next message
rnhood is currently offline  rnhood
Chancellor
Specifically, the Pi-7's - do they disappear, are they holographic when sitting in the sweetspot? I like the reverberant characteristics that I read about but, there doesn't seem to be many comments on the imaging ability of Pi speakers.

Re: So how well do Pi's image [message #46191 is a reply to message #46190] Tue, 25 January 2005 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Before I came across Wayne's Pi Speakers I had run through the gamut satrting in the 70's with adc's, Bose 901's, Acoustat's, NHT's, and finally Kestrel's. I too had that "holographic grail" in mind.My sytandard was an ARC/von Scweikert system I heard that placed a female vocalist in a "ball" in front of and entirely separate from the speakers.
I took a chance and built the Theatre 4Pi's. 2 things were immediately apparent: A)24X36 baffles don't disappear and B)it doesn't matter. I won't try to describe what the soundstage and presentation of a truly dynamic and low distortion speaker is because I don't want to spoil it for you. The sound has that big an impact. And you may not like it and go back to what you have but you won't forget it.

Theatre 4 rear, Studio 2 front

Thanks Bill [message #46192 is a reply to message #46191] Tue, 25 January 2005 20:29 Go to previous message
rnhood is currently offline  rnhood
Chancellor
I'm lusting after those dynamics I read about. I also like imaging but, I know what you mean about the larg'ish baffles - and realize that there is no free lunch. Tradeoffs in all aspects of speaker building.

Previous Topic: studio one pi
Next Topic: Theatre 3 and 4s
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 17:21:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout