Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Hey, BNAL
Hey, BNAL [message #46151] Sat, 15 January 2005 19:00 Go to next message
newsjeff is currently offline  newsjeff
Baron
How's the S.E.X. kit - um - coming along?
And how did you explain the S.E.X. part to your 8-year-old son (whose helping with the build)?
I can't wait until you finish the amp. I am curious to see how it sounds on my Theater 4s.
I guess I'll have to clean up behind the stereo rack before you stop by. It's been a while since I've been back there.
I've got some Risch DIY CC89259 interconnects that are already burned in if you'd like to try them, too.
Now, if I can only get my Tosh 3950 fixed in the next couple of days ... . You might need to bring a good source with ya just in case. I'd love to hear my system with a good turntable and phono pre (hint, hint).
Let me know if you need anything with the build.
I read in a previous post about your concern with the size of the Theater 4s. Wayne is correct, as always. They sound best against the back wall. Or any wall. That might help with the WAF.

Re: Hey, BNAL [message #46152 is a reply to message #46151] Sat, 15 January 2005 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BNAL is currently offline  BNAL
Chancellor
I have completed the hardware assembly, but I'm thinking of painting the transformers before I start soldering. I will make a decision tomorrow. I'm very interested in how the amp will sound with the theatre 4's. I think it will make wounderful music. I have a Tosh SD-4960 that I have not mod yet. Waiting on some parts, but if I get a chance to work on it before I can get over I will. I will let you know how the build is going and thanks for the offer to help.

Re: Hey, BNAL [message #46153 is a reply to message #46152] Sat, 15 January 2005 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I'm no expert, but I would think you would want to paint before you solder.
The pics on the Bottlehead site have the S.E.X. amp nude. No pait. And it looks good.
I paited my Foreplay top plate and transformer with black hammerite. I love it.
As far as modding your Tosh ... be very, very careful with the small pins on the ribbon cable. That's were my problems occured.

Re: Hey, BNAL [message #46157 is a reply to message #46153] Sun, 16 January 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I have not started to solder that is the reason I was thinking of painting it now. I'm just not sure I want to start taking things apart, especially since it went together so nicely the first time. I will make the decision today so I can move on with construct.
The tosh player I have is the SD-4960. The design is a little different. I do not think I will have to worry about the ribbon cable. I will have worry about other things with the player mod.

Please report any SEX experience with the Theater 4s! [message #46163 is a reply to message #46151] Tue, 18 January 2005 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland garland is currently offline  Garland garland
Chancellor
I've been toying with the idea of making a S.E.X. since it seems like a great platform for modding and learning. I'd love to hear a comparison between the SEX and Paramours through the Theater 4s.

Garland

And don't forget about the Stoetkit! [message #46164 is a reply to message #46163] Tue, 18 January 2005 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The Bottlehead parafeed triode amps are entirely different products from the Heart ultralinear tube amps, so this is kind of apples and oranges. But they are in the same price range and I gotta tell you that the Stoetkit is one sweet little amp. I'm glad to have 'em both.

Re: And don't forget about the Stoetkit! [message #46167 is a reply to message #46164] Thu, 20 January 2005 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I'm still putting the amp together. This is my first kit and I'm taking my time and triple checking everything. Once I complete it I will be getting together newsjeff so we can listen to his Theatre 4's with my S.E.X. amp. I will post listening impressions.

Re: And don't forget about the Stoetkit! [message #46168 is a reply to message #46167] Thu, 20 January 2005 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Yes, please do post your impressions. I'd like to try one of those new little Bottlehead kits too; I have just about everything else they make. But right now, I have to many other things on the "to do" list to consider it.

Re: Please report any SEX experience with the Theater 4s! [message #46193 is a reply to message #46163] Tue, 25 January 2005 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I had the pleaure of listen to my Theater 4s with the new Bottlehead S.E.X. amp Monday.
Please keep in mind that I am terrible at writing reviews. Also, I'm not sure the amp was fully broken in. Possibly less than 25 hours on it.
The first thing I noticed about the amp: it's DEAD quiet. No hum or buzz whatsoever. Not even when I put my ear right against the horn with the amp turned up almost all the way. Black.
If I could describe this amp with one word it would be precise. The reproduction of music was exact, almost clinical. The full spectrum of sound was fully discernible with no major flaws. If you like clean, honest sound, you'll love he S.E.X. amp. The music tracks on the Stereophile Test CD 3 made this amp really show the honest, detailed sound it's capable of reproducing.
Volume level? I got 87db with my SPL meter at 15 feet from the speakers. This was with the amp turned about 3/4 of the way up.
The bass was better than I expected, too. Tight and deep enough to get all but the lowest frequencies. Nice job, Doc, Paul and gang.
If I was to fault anything with this amp, it would be the lack of dynamics. The amp just didn't give me the fast, lively sound that I really like. Live music from Dave Mathews with the volume turned up did get me going. Yes, it's there. But you gotta find it.
The amp sounded wonderful on both sets of headphones I used, the Grado SR-60 and the Sennheiser HD-650. To be honest, I felt the S.E.X. was a much better headphone amp than an amp for driving my main, full-range speakers.
Everything said and done, this is one great little amp. Espically for the money. If you into modding and/or experimenting, buy it now. If you are looking for great little headphone amp, put it at the top of your list.
Nice job, Bottlehead.

Speakers: Pi Theater 4
Amp: Bottlehead S.E.X kit
CD player: un-modded Toshbia 4960
Speaker wires: Jon Risch CC89259 w/WBT Sandwich Spades.
Interconects: Jon Risch design 89259 w/Eichmann Bullet Plugs.
Headphones: Grado SR-60 and Sennheiser HD-650

Re: Please report any SEX experience with the Theater 4s! [message #46195 is a reply to message #46193] Wed, 26 January 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
GarlandGarland is currently offline  GarlandGarland
Viscount
Thanks for the review! It seems in line with other comments on Doc's new amp; clean and precise, etc. Could you please let us know what amps you're using as reference?

Thanks again.

Garland

Previous Topic: Pi 2 Towers.....help
Next Topic: Impressions of 21" Martinelli horn?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:42:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio