Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Kilomax power
Kilomax power [message #45711] Sun, 31 October 2004 09:37 Go to next message
David Stouter is currently offline  David Stouter
Esquire
Greetings, yesterday me and a friend were talking about the Kilomax and its power rating. He says that if the Kilomax will handle 1200 watts, then you could connect 2 in series and plug it into the wall socket without blowing up the woofers. Almost could plug a single one into the wall, but that would be 1800 watts, a little too much.

That's amazing. Is it true?
David

Re: Kilomax power [message #45712 is a reply to message #45711] Sun, 31 October 2004 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's hilarious.

Your friend is right on the power numbers, but I'm not sure on the excursion. I think you'd probably have to mount the drivers face to face and drive them out of phase so that they pressurized themselves to limit excursion. And I'm wondering if the cones could handle it - I think they'd probably rip.

Re: Kilomax power [message #45713 is a reply to message #45712] Mon, 01 November 2004 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dwkurfma is currently offline  dwkurfma
Baron
I suspect they would be ok at 60 hz. The Eminence specs are a bit confusing in the way they specify Xmax. Still, if you mount the K18 speakers in an infinite baffle, which is the most demanding way to drive them, my sims show 750 watts/driver @ .33" which certainly should be safe from an excursion standpoint - I would not want to run a sine wave very long from a heating perspective; 1700 watts/driver @ .50"; almost 4k watts @.75". It's when you try to move down that next octave that life gets to be a bear. For what it is worth, find a corner and put two there and drive them @ 60hz and it can be a little frightening. I did it years ago with two 12" in ported boxes with a variable transformer (basically a college locker room with masonry walls) just to find out what would happen. Let's just say it got a lot of attention, and was only 15 volts rms before I chickened out.

Dan

Re: Kilomax power [message #45714 is a reply to message #45713] Mon, 01 November 2004 12:13 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Man, you guys are cracking me up!

It is kinda impressive though, isn't it?

Previous Topic: Seven Pi plans
Next Topic: Four Pi questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 09:27:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout