Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » manualblock
manualblock [message #45465] Mon, 27 September 2004 17:17 Go to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
In an earlier post below,( harshness and sibliance)you spoke of Wayne's floor treatment for wood floors. Where on the site is this info?

Thanks in advance,
Russellc

Re: manualblock [message #45466 is a reply to message #45465] Mon, 27 September 2004 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Sure Russell He had the whole scheme spelled out in the archives before he updated the foruum; you may have to go back 2 yrs. I can give very condensed overview which is basically he used a portable frequency response meter and tracked what resonances occurred under each section of the floor. Then he treated each section depending on what the readings were. If for some reason they are not on this archived board I know for a fact Wayne has it spelled out and I am sure he can provide the link. I would re-post what I did but it is probably best to get it from the source due to the fact that it is a long post. Biggest improvement if you have suspended floors, you will be amazed. J.R.

Raised hardwood floors and crawlspaces [message #45472 is a reply to message #45466] Mon, 27 September 2004 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I think this is the one you are referring to:

• Solution for raised wood floors and crawlspaces

There are a few more posts on the subject that can be found using "wood floors" in the search tool.

• Re: manualblock [message #45475 is a reply to message #45465] Tue, 28 September 2004 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
    Illuminati (13th Degree)
    I see Wayne has replied and he instructed as to how to use the EQ to ameliorate floor resonances. I am not sure that is the post you seek however.
    What I did was First I sistered all the floor joists under the listening room. Then I purchased these sheets of high densisty acoustic foam. I stapled a sheet between each joist flush against the floor. Then I ran lateral stringers and mounted sheetrock on those. Every other joist I drilled a hole and pumped insulation into the cavity. It sounds like a lot of work but you only need to do it under one room.My room is 16x14 so it amounted to about 15 2x4" 4 sheets sheetrock, 15 furring strips and some insulation blown in. Total about 150$; very much worth it! Suddenly, there was bass.

Re: Raised hardwood floors and crawlspaces [message #45483 is a reply to message #45472] Tue, 28 September 2004 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
    Illuminati (1st Degree)

Thanks guys, I think I have a handle on it now. The only remaining thing is something manualblock mentioned, "Sistering joists together", could you please explain this, do you mean connecting together in some fashion? Obviously, I have hardwood floors, but have not noticed bass problems. HOWEVER, most of the speaker systems I have do not go that low. Main main room system uses A-7 altec, which do not have a lot of low bass.( the rest have even less) I have plenty of room under the floor, as there is a basement... sort of... more like a celler, but with cement floors where the water heater and furnace are. Part of it is crawl space. It is awful "spidery" back there! Snakes, bats, lizards (including giant water snakes and 5 1/2 ft iguana lizards in costa rica) do not bother me in the least but I am flat horrified of spiders! (shutter)

Cheers,
    Russellc

Re: Raised hardwood floors and crawlspaces [message #45484 is a reply to message #45483] Tue, 28 September 2004 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
    Illuminati (13th Degree)
    Thanks Russell; 51/2 foot iguana lizards? I'm scheduled to holiday in Costa Rica around xmas, I'll keep a sharp eye for those maneaters!
    Sistering joists just means you attach a 2x6 joist side by side with the existing joist. There is a little trick to it, you have to knotch one end but there are plenty of framing books in the library that explain it. I actually used 2x4's they"re cheaper. Believe me you will notice a difference. Lots of bass energy leaks through the floor; more than you would expect. When I did it I had the Valencias in that room and noticed a real improvement. Sprung floors have lots of give that soaks up bass, this tightens them up. The acoustic insulation kicks up the absorbtion of fundamentals and the sheetrock adds mass. To me it was like buying a 4 fold better amp. Keep us posted, J.R. People who hear the Pi 4's in that room are amazed at the prodigious bass output.

Re: Raised hardwood floors and crawlspaces [message #45487 is a reply to message #45484] Wed, 29 September 2004 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
    Illuminati (1st Degree)
    Ah! now this is really making sense, the floor isn't letting bass leak through, its flexing with the bass, robbing it of its impact that would otherwise exist in a Stiffer floored room. You will love costa rica, and you are going at the best time! everything blooms deluxe usually starting in november, every day is perfect and I mean perfect. No heat or A/C required. Rent a 4x4 ( I used a toyota with diesel v8 that could climb walls. I pulled a few ticos out of the river with it...Thats right, some roads will just end at the river and pick up on the other side! You are going to love this trip. i intend to retire there or panama. The iguanas are not that scarey. I heard them coming around the house about the same time every day slowley rustling through the leaves, stopping to sun.

thanks for everything and have fun!

Russellc

thanks for everything

Re: Raised hardwood floors and crawlspaces [message #45491 is a reply to message #45487] Wed, 29 September 2004 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
    Illuminati (13th Degree)
    Russell; saw some of your posts on the Altec foruum. Very informative,I hope you don't mind if I ask some questions in the near future, one of which is do you use the 515g in the A7's? Plenty more where that came from. Thanks much for the heads up on the iguanas. I get the Tico Times because I too have a plan for Costa Rica, providing the house prices slow down, jeez, what; they have doubled in 3 years! Thanks J.R.(Do you surf?)

Re: Raised hardwood floors and crawlspaces [message #45492 is a reply to message #45491] Thu, 30 September 2004 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
    Illuminati (1st Degree)
    I have never surfed my self, have played with boogie boards and so forth, to surf has always been a dream for me, and I swear my next visit I may go solo for lesons. I need to now, as I am in my forties. I have both the 5158g, as well as a set of 416 8c. Difficult to say which I like better, I listen to one for a few months and think it is superior, then change my mind when I switch back. Right now I would give the edge to the 416 8c. It is usually a little less expensive, has slightly lower bass, and seems somewhat more transparent. Of course, the 416 8c is in there now!
    the 5158g seems to have a more powerful midrange. Either of these drivers is great in the A-7. As for reflex, the 416 is superior,( in my opinion) although the 515 88g is not that far off. The 515 8g was specifically designed for an application like the A-7, horn on front and reflex on back. Do you surf? I have loads of questions on that topic.

Thanks, Russellc

Russellc

Re: Raised hardwood floors and crawlspaces [message #45493 is a reply to message #45492] Thu, 30 September 2004 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
    Illuminati (13th Degree)
    Thanks for the info. I must say it is a surprise that you favor the 416, many favor the 515. Fine by me I like the 416 myself. Still checking on those plastic stabilizers on the 802's. I surf;at least I used to before kids. Still have my board, the thing is it's a shorty, only 6'6", good for cutting. However I am getting older and don't do much cutting so my board will go to my son who has basically coopted it anyway. I need to get a bigger board, maybe 8/9' due to old age issues, they are easier to ride. Nice conversations, lots of Altec stuff so I am thinking of building a Model 19 clone. Whaddya think?

Previous Topic: Professional 4pi plans
    Next Topic: Eminence Speaker Sales
    Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 00:59:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
    DIY Audio Projects
    OddWatt Audio
    OddWatt Audio
    Pi Speakers
    Pi Speakers
    Prosound Shootout