Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Heresy components and pi speakers ?
Heresy components and pi speakers ? [message #45321] Mon, 06 September 2004 20:20 Go to next message
DannyG is currently offline  DannyG
Esquire
Hi,

I currently have a pair of early Heresy speakers with good drivers. These speakers sound good, however, they really lack the bass response I am looking for. If it were just the bass, then I would just deal with it and be happy. However, the cabinets are falling apart and in need of replacement. So…

Would it be possible (desirable) to mate the Heresy tweeters, squawkers and crossovers with say a 4pi LF driver and cabinet?

Best regards,
ck

Re: Heresy components and pi speakers ? [message #45323 is a reply to message #45321] Mon, 06 September 2004 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
Hi ck,

The next step up the Klipsch product line used to be the Cornwall (15" woofer & bigger box) and I believe it used the same mid and tweeter horns as the Heresy.
Consider either a Thermonic 4 Pi or a Theater 4 Pi system. The old parts could be cobbled into a new system. But then you must deal with a three-way crossover and a few other problems. The costs of parts to build new 4 Pi's isn't a whole lot more than repairing the Heresy/Cornwall system. Personally, I would sell the Heresy stuff on e-bay and use the proceeds for a pair of Theater 4 Pi units. I've owned both speakers. 4 Pi now, and Heresy's a "few" years ago in my student days. Just having new drivers to work with would be a big plus.

Steve

Re: Heresy components and pi speakers ? [message #45324 is a reply to message #45321] Tue, 07 September 2004 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The 15" driver in the cornwall was an EV driver and the specs can be found on the Klipsch website forum. Since the mid and high freq. drivers are well documented I don't see any reason that they could not be arranged with one of the woofers used in the Pi series to work well.
I would assemble the crossover specifications from Klipsch then post on this forum as I am sure Wayne or someone could help you with it. Just remmember that the Pi 4 is a design that contains very specific components and if you change them it is no longer a Pi 4.
You could just buy the stock 15" EV from the Cornwall and build that speaker. The cabinet could be assembled with the Pi design easily enough then obtain a crossover from the Pi site using the Pi parts and create the EQ. needed for those drivers. Since the Cornwall is a ported design it should be simple to execute.
There should be an Eminence woofer that closely approximates the original Klipsch EV and they are reasonable and available also that may be a way to go.
One more. There is an aftermarket xover design built for the early Cornwall that if you can get the values should work great.
Good Luck, J.R.

Re: Heresy components and pi speakers ? [message #45325 is a reply to message #45321] Tue, 07 September 2004 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It looks like you've gotten some good responses already. The only thing I'd like to add is to suggest a π cornerhorn as a possibility. It is a simple cabinet to build and I think it sounds great. So if you have two good corners, this might be an attractive option for you.

seven π cornerhorn

Get the best woofer you can afford and implement it in a π cornerhorn. Since the Klipsch midrange and tweeter were baffle mounted, I expect the crossover is already worked out to sum properly and I also assume the midrange crossover frequency is pretty low. So just crossover the woofer in the π cornerhorn at that point and add a conjugate Zobel and it would work very well.

Thanks all for the suggestions! (nt) [message #45326 is a reply to message #45321] Tue, 07 September 2004 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire

Re: Heresy components and pi speakers ? [message #45327 is a reply to message #45325] Tue, 07 September 2004 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Hi Wayne,

Those are some very nice cornerhorns!! Do the cornerhorns have to be put exactly into the corners? Or can they be toed out a little?

Also, what would be a good woofer? I have seen the JBL 2225's mentioned as good woofers. What kind of bass response could I expect?

btw, I am using 300b set amps.

Best regards,
Danny

Re: Heresy components and pi speakers ? [message #45328 is a reply to message #45327] Tue, 07 September 2004 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

π cornerhorns do need to be placed right in the corners. There would be no harm setting them in the corner at a slight angle, but there wouldn't be any point in doing so. They are designed to have the forward axis cross in front of the listener, not to be listened straight on. This gives the best stereo balance, which in turn improves imaging.

Re: Additional thought [message #45330 is a reply to message #45326] Wed, 08 September 2004 12:15 Go to previous message
dwkurfma is currently offline  dwkurfma
Baron
In case you pop back in - sorry not to get this out earlier but I only drop by once in a while. I would be cautious about trying to "convert" to a Cornwall. Several different versions of Heresy and Cornwall, based on year, with different drivers. Midhorn was not same and used different cutoff. I certainly liked the 4pi speaker I heard, and selling the Heresy and starting from scratch is one good approach. However, if I were doing this, I would probably build a 4 way with the Omega 15 ported, the Klipsch 12 in a sealed sub-enclosure, and the existing horn mid and highs. Use a PI alignment or possibly an EBS oriented alignment, say 6 cubic feet, fb 32. In quarter space this is going to be nearly flat into the sub-30 hz range without eq and unless you are driving the socks off of it you shouldn't need to worry about power limitations above fb. If your electronics support it, go with a good class A/B plate amp to drive the Omega. You will be able to level match relatively easily, free up additional power to drive the mids and highs with less clipping, reduce modulation distortion (if you belong to the camp that goes along with that idea). Besides, think how it would look with the front exposed! Any way you go at it, good luck. Big, but efficient, clean, and very powerful.

Dan

Previous Topic: Transcendent SE OTL and Pi Thermionic 3's
Next Topic: ideal enclosure volume for alpha 10
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 01 19:49:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers