Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Is Pi for me
Is Pi for me [message #45193] Mon, 16 August 2004 22:50 Go to next message
Chad I. is currently offline  Chad I.
Esquire
I have become very interested in diy speakers as of late and I have been searching high and low for a kit that actually looks right for me. My last set of store bought speakers were Klipsch and I loved them but due to finances, or lack there of, I had to part with them.

First and foremost I love music, all kinds. I want to be able to relax with some John Hiatt or Mark Knoppler or just rock out with old school Metallica. Then there is my wife who loves country and hip hop...is there such a speaker? I am also very passionate about home theater usage but I want to build a music system first. I plan to use 3 of the same speakers accross the front but would like somthing smaller for the rear 4 speakers..can this be done. I hate to give a budget at this point as regardless of what I get, I have to save for and will have to buy in portions.

Re: Is Pi for me [message #45194 is a reply to message #45193] Tue, 17 August 2004 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gumby1 is currently offline  gumby1
Viscount
I've been extremely happy with the Two Pi Tower speakers that I built. I fine tuned my HF driver with a capacitor recommended by Wayne and they sound great. An outstanding product with outstanding service from Wayne.

Re: Is Pi for me [message #45195 is a reply to message #45194] Tue, 17 August 2004 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscarl is currently offline  Oscarl
Chancellor
What was the capacitor recommended by Wayne?

Re: Is Pi for me [message #45196 is a reply to message #45193] Tue, 17 August 2004 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James W. Johnson is currently offline  James W. Johnson
Master
I am a a previous Klipsch owner turned Pi owner myself. If you enjoyed the qualities of Klipsch horn speakers then its likely you will also like Pi speakers.

I built the Stage 4 Pis and love them...there is no comparsion between these and my old Klipsch Reference Series speakers.

I am building some One Pis for surround duty and will eventually build another Stages Series speaker for center channel duty.

If you want the smallest Pi speaker with the most output and probably the biggest bang for the buck then the Stage Series is an excellent choice.
If you have more money and want a small high output speaker then the Pro Series 4 Pi is the one to go with.
If you have space for a larger speaker and want to spend abit less then the Theater Series 4 Pis is a popular one.

Lots and lots of choices!

Re: Is Pi for me [message #45197 is a reply to message #45193] Tue, 17 August 2004 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi Chad; As a former owner of Klipsch Cornwalls I see many have chosen this path. I traded them and built a pair of Pi Theater 4's. The beauty of these speakers is this; when I finished assembling them I put them downstairs to break-in. We have a high power solid state system down there and let me tell you they do rock. From Los Lobos to Oasis to Van Halen they lit up the room with sound. I must admitt at the time I wasn't sure of their ability to resolve the finer nuances of Jazz and Classical. About three months ago I moved them upstairs to the listening room. I used a single ended tube amp with a Linn TT and Seduction phono stage. Not only do they resolve, they brought life and breadth to the sound. Dave Alvin to John Prine; Allison Krause and Nanci Griffith, they all sounded real and immediate; like they are in the room.
Lush and full; female voices sound true to life, not like the etched glassy sound you get from a lot of the high end stuff. The cabinets are easy to build and the choice of finish is your's. I believe for the price they are the best deal out there. J.R.

Re: Is Pi for me [message #45199 is a reply to message #45197] Tue, 17 August 2004 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chad I. is currently offline  Chad I.
Esquire
Thanks manualblock, I love to listen to Natalie Merchant, but also hate to as I have only heard a few speakers that she sounds good on and I simply cannot afford any of those at this time. I have seen her live and that just spoiled any trying to really listen to her at home.

I have been doing some heavy research and am starting to narrow down some selections, the hard part will be convincing my wife to let theese monsterous speakers in the house although if done right they would become possibly a phone stand on one side a lamp stand on the other and mabey a t.v stand for the center...who knows.

Re: Is Pi for me [message #45201 is a reply to message #45199] Tue, 17 August 2004 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Funny you should mention. I inset the edges of my cabinets and let her pick out nice oak moulding. Then I gave her carte blanche to decorate the tops; now there are picture frames covering the cabinets, and every time I listen I have to look at her family, at least I am allowed to have them in the living room.

Re: Is Pi for me [message #45203 is a reply to message #45194] Tue, 17 August 2004 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pokey1 is currently offline  pokey1
Chancellor
Please see my message to you in SET.

Re: Is Pi for me [message #45205 is a reply to message #45196] Tue, 17 August 2004 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
James,

Keep us up to date on the One Pi's. As I've mentioned in previous posts, I'm a big fan of these.

Gar.

Re: Is Pi for me [message #45206 is a reply to message #45195] Tue, 17 August 2004 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
gumby1 is currently offline  gumby1
Viscount
Wayne sent me a list of capacitors to try. I ended up using a 0.1uF 630 volt capacitor in series with the HF driver. It gave me the sound I was looking for. Before I put the capacitor in, the HF driver was too "bright". The capacitor tamed it down enough to make me happy.

Previous Topic: woofers for sub horn
Next Topic: How much power can my 4 pi premium take?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 07:50:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio