Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi 2 Towers: How Careful Do I Have to Be?
Pi 2 Towers: How Careful Do I Have to Be? [message #45037] Wed, 21 July 2004 17:12 Go to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Fresno's question, immediately below (I don't want to hijack his thread), about a blown driver has me wondering. I've been using my Pi 2 Towers this summer as outdoor speakers -- placing them at the sliding doors and blasting them out into the yard, w/ a 100W AKSA amp. Since we abut a state forest here in lovely northwest NJ, I play them pretty d***ed loud -- last Saturday night I was playing the Simon & Garfunkel Central Park Concert for a friend at near concert levels, and one of the nice things about the Pi 2s that they just go up and up with no sign of strain at all.

This coming weekend, I'm hosting my brother-in-law's 50th birthday party (of course, I'm much younger than he is). Things are likely to get seriously out of hand. Although I doubt we'll play Metallica, Jimi, Cream, Janis, Frank Z., the Stones, et al. will probably attend.

The question is: am I tempting fate? Will the drivers show signs of distress before anything untoward happens?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Pi 2 Towers: How Careful Do I Have to Be? [message #45038 is a reply to message #45037] Wed, 21 July 2004 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I crank 'em pretty hard too. In fact, I run all my speakers real hard. The thing is, with these or any other loudspeakers, you should listen for distress. If you hear what sounds like sharp impacts with bass notes that you don't hear at lower volume levels, you're probably driving the voice coil into the plate, so back off a little bit. Other indicators to listen for are buzzes and a sort of "screechiness" that is caused by clipping from the amp.

You'll notice a real big change in sound when a system is pushed past its limits. It is very easy to detect, no skill required. The thing is that some people don't care. Think of the buzzing trunk lid in car stereos, that kind of thing. It is very apparent, and it is really hard to ignore. Same thing with the sort of sounds made by a system in distress from being pushed beyond its limits. You'll know long before failure, and probably will find that your natural inclination is to turn it down because it sounds bad in that mode.

Re: Pi 2 Towers: How Careful Do I Have to Be? [message #45042 is a reply to message #45038] Wed, 21 July 2004 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Thanks, Wayne. I listen pretty carefully, so if there are signs of distress, I think I'll notice!

In the meantime, even though it's not a Pi -- sorry -- the link is to a photo of the center channel speaker I've made as a present for my bro-in-law.

Sweet! [message #45044 is a reply to message #45042] Thu, 22 July 2004 00:23 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Those are stunning! Zebrawood is so cool looking. And you've done a great job with the cabinets, I love the rounded corners. I'll bet they sound great too!

Previous Topic: Qustions regarding midrange horn.
Next Topic: Driver Is Blown :(
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 09:21:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout