Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » entertainment centers and speaker placement
entertainment centers and speaker placement [message #44510] Mon, 26 April 2004 23:07 Go to next message
Walter Owens is currently offline  Walter Owens
Esquire
Currently our speakers are on either side of a nook, 13 ft by 3.5 ft. Tonight we purchased an entertainment center that will fill most of that space. Each speaker will probably wind up sitting in a fairly narrow space between the end of the entertainment center and the end of the nook. Instead of a corner shaped space, more of a U shaped space. I have a feeling that this could do bad things to the sound.
Any advice?

Should I ...

1. set the speakers as far forward as possible?
2. set the speakers all the way back to the wall?
3. get smaller speakers (one pi) and put a big subwoofer cabinet under the TV?
4. build bigger speakers (2pi towers, 10 pi) that fill the whole space?
5. put lots of damping material, (bolsters, carpet, wave traps) behind the speakers.
6. build speaker enclosures inside two of the cabinets in the entertainment center?
7. put speakers on top of the entertainment center?
8. not worry about it?
9. ask somewhere else?

many thanks,

Walter Owens

Re: entertainment centers and speaker placement [message #44511 is a reply to message #44510] Tue, 27 April 2004 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'm having a hard time visualizing your room layout. Any chance you could take a photo and show it here?

Re: entertainment centers and speaker placementm [message #44512 is a reply to message #44510] Tue, 27 April 2004 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I think you're right that the space will have an effect- but it will probably take some experimenting to figure out exactly what it is. I've helped with a stereo that has speakers in a small bay window- and it helps a lot because the amp is a Decware Zen, and the speakers are Polk 10B's, which would normally be marginal with that amp. However, with the bass reinforcement the bay window gives, it sounds great. The sound is very different, though, if you move the speakers in and out of the nook by even a foot, so you'll have to experiment. Good luck with it!

Re: entertainment centers and speaker placement [message #44518 is a reply to message #44511] Tue, 27 April 2004 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Walter Owens is currently offline  Walter Owens
Esquire
How about a little proportional font ascii art? Yick!

.....---------------------------
.....|........................................|
.....|...S..============..S..|
.....|.......============......|
.....|........................................|__________
.....|.............................................................|

The speaker locations are indicated by the "S". The entertainment
center is the two rows of "=". The room is about 20' x 30'. At one end of the room, where the speakers are, there is a 13' wide area where the wall is 3.5' further back. It's just right for a big entertainment center to hold a big tv and the clutter of components and media. But if the speakers are right next to the entertainment center, then they will be surrounded fairly closely on three sides. It looks like there could be all sorts of resonances and reflections and stuff that might not sound good.

I hope the picture is a little clearer now.

thanks again,

Walter Owens

Re: entertainment centers and speaker placement [message #44519 is a reply to message #44518] Wed, 28 April 2004 03:02 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Gotcha now, Walter. I see what you mean now.

You're right that isn't ideal. But we do have to live in these spaces, not just setup our listening studios within them. So sometimes compromises have to be made.

Yours is a tough one. I'm not entirely comfortable with the nook area. If the speakers are bought out flush with the wall it might be OK, but they will be in freespace. That's good in that it gets you out away from the recessed area but bad in that speakers in freespace are usually pretty anemic.

One could possibly look around the room for an altogether different arrangement. You might find that the entertainment center could be placed on another wall and that the speakers could then be put in a better location. But it does look like the arrangement you have makes a neat layout, overall. You might be better served putting the speakers where you've shown, and pulling the system and speakers out so that they are flush with the wall that the nook is recessed into.

You might go with some tower two π speakers because I think they will work well for you sitting where you have shown. Do bring everything forward so your speakers are flush with the wall though. It will probably look really nice if the entertainment system and speakers are all flush, creating a wall of sight and sound.

Previous Topic: Pi 4 differences/ whos using a 811B?
Next Topic: Which Diana Krall cd?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 07:52:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout