Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Great Plains Audio Community Meeting - Pics
Great Plains Audio Community Meeting - Pics [message #43631] Mon, 12 January 2004 16:14 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The Great Plains Audio Community met Saturday, January 10 at 2:00pm. It was hosted by Akhilesh Bajaj and his lovely wife, Aprajita. In attendence was Link Alley, Bill Wassilak, Bland Bridenstine, Phil Wilson, Mark Margiotta, Forrest Merrill, me and Alona and of course, Akhilesh and Aprajita Bajaj. Akhilesh and Aprajita made an excellent BBQ chicken and treated us to that and several interesting and tasty side dishes. Thanks Akhilesh and Aprajita!

Akhilesh and Aprajita Bajaj, with their youngest son, Aadesh

I personally had a wonderful time because I was able to just be lazy and enjoy myself. The only thing I brought this time was a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts, so I didn't have a massive set of speakers to lug around. Instead, I was able to hang out with good friends, eat some great food and enjoy Akhilesh's wonderful sound systems.

Akhilesh has two primary sound systems, and both get components swapped in and out from time to time. He is a true hobbyist-tinkerer, and doesn't leave his systems setup long. One of his systems uses a pair of Klipschorn speakers, which are usually connected to a push-pull tube amp but sometimes to his Decware Zen SET. The Klipschorns were made in 1978, have been kept in very good condition and are a beautiful example of this speaker model.

1978 Klipschorn

A Decware Zen connected to the Klipschorns was one of the systems we listened to, and it sounded quite nice.

Decware Zen, with NAD CD player source

Link Alley, sitting next to Bill Wassilak

The caption on the photo above should read, "You better getcha some horns too!"

Akhilesh had recently received a tube amp kit from Antique Electronics, so we all were interested to see the contents. It looks like an excellent kit with good components and PCB quality; It's an impressive little kit for $140.00, and we're all anxious to see and hear it when it is done, perhaps at the next gathering.

This meeting certainly had its moments when everyone sat and listened, but for the most part, this was a social event. Everyone seemed in very good spirits, and I think we all just felt like talking with one another. It was really nice to see everyone and visit.

Mark Margiotta and Bill Wassilak

Aprajita Bajaj, Alona Parham and Anitesh Bajaj

Bill Wassilak and Akhilesh Bajaj

Wayne and Alona Parham, with Anitesh

What in the world is Alona doing to Anitesh's arm?

Akhilesh is quite fond of single driver speaker systems. He has a pair of 8" Stephens Tru-Sonics drivers and a pair of 12" Tru-Sonics drivers. We measured each of them to find T/S specs, and Akhilesh had cabinets built that are appropriate to the specs. The speakers sound very nice, which I would describe as having a sort of vintage-retro sound.

Single driver bass-reflex speaker based on Stephens Tru-Sonic 8" driver

Decware Zens and Paramours were alternately hooked to these speakers. Most liked both systems but many felt that the overall tone was better with the Paramours. That seemed unusual to me, since the Stephens driver generates more midbass than midrange overtone energies, having rolled-off response up high. The Zen tends to counter-balance this a little bit, so while I really like both amps, I preferred the Zen with these speakers.

Forrest Merrill......with Link and Bill

Wayne Parham and Akhilesh Bajaj

Aadesh, Aprajita, Anitesh and Alona

It was a really fun time, and I'm sure glad we went. Looks like we wore poor Aadesh out with all our partying, but in truth, he was napping throughout the afternoon and had just woken up.

Another excellent meeting. Thanks everyone for coming! And many thanks to Akhilesh and Aprajita for having us!!!

Re: Great Plains Audio Community Meeting - Pics [message #43644 is a reply to message #43631] Tue, 13 January 2004 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanx for the great pics, Wayne, and it was FUN having everyone over. As usual, it was a great learning experience. Everyone is invited back to listen to wither system in a more peaceful surounding...and the single driver speakers sound a LOT better in the small music room than in the big & live familiy room.
thanx and look forward to the next one!
-akhilesh

Re: Great Plains Audio Community Meeting - Pics [message #43648 is a reply to message #43644] Tue, 13 January 2004 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
It was a really great time, Akhilesh. Thanks!

Did you see my post in the Digital Audio forum? I started a thread called "Non-oversampled v. Oversampled" about the things you and I briefly discussed the other night at your place. I hope some of the other guys see it too, because we have a few engineers from both schools of thought represented on this forum.

Re: Great Plains Audio Community Meeting - Pics [message #43652 is a reply to message #43648] Wed, 14 January 2004 07:29 Go to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Will check this out, since i need to upgrade my source, and am wonderng what kind of DAC to get.
thanx!
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: Modeling stage 7 pi
Next Topic: Crossover Document
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 13:23:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers