Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Time to bake a Pi?
Time to bake a Pi? [message #42303] Fri, 29 August 2003 19:40 Go to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hi Guys

I'm hoping somebody can give me a little direction; I'm having a hard time deciding which way to go.

I lucked into a pair of JBL 2426 drivers and 2370A horns. I plopped them on top of my A7 cabinets with 515-G drivers and was very impressed. I think I like them much better than my 511B's with any of the 800 series drivers I have.

So now I'm looking at these little bitty horns sitting on the 828 cabinets and I'm thinking there's got to be a better way.

I have these huge bass cabinets with no low bass output: I'm working on my fourth generation subwoofer for the A7s - they just die subjectively at 45Hz, and that's not enough. Finding space for at least three big speakers (A7s and sub) is tough too.

It would seem that there are two options: the Four Pi and the Ten Pi. I know the Ten Pi is more efficient (lower distortion) but I'm not sure of the bass extension - will I be looking for a sub for the Ten Pi too? Also a pair of JBL 2226's for the Ten Pi's is a little steep right now, so that's another issue. Looking through the archives I get the feeling that any other driver is going to be an unacceptable compromise.

Does the Four Pi have enough sensitivity in the bass to match the 2426 well? Does it have enough bass extension with the Omega or Kilomax 15 to eliminate the need for a subwoofer? Am I going to miss the horn loaded mids of the 828 cabinet too much if I go reflex?

How deep is the ocean? How high is the sky?

Any opinions (including observations about my apparent sanity) are gratefully received.

Thanks

Charlie

Some great ingredients! [message #42304 is a reply to message #42303] Fri, 29 August 2003 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The ten π sounds great, and one would think that they go really deep. They're very powerful from 40Hz up, so they sound like they pack a whallop on the low notes. But the truth is that there is an octave below them that they just don't hit. The JBL 2226 is designed for 40Hz up, and the horn is also designed for this range.

I really like the JBL 2245 for the bottom octave. Put it in seven to ten cubic feet tuned to 30Hz and it's awesome. Even better if you can install it in a π cornerhorn configuration like is done in the Audiophile Series seven π , which contains a JBL 2245.

Re: Some great ingredients! [message #42307 is a reply to message #42304] Fri, 29 August 2003 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hi Wayne

I can't really use the corners in my odd room, but I'll definitely look into the 2245 reflex.

Thanks

Charlie

π subs [message #42309 is a reply to message #42307] Sat, 30 August 2003 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Check your mail - I've sent plans for an excellent subwoofer cabinet for the JBL 2245.

Would you please... [message #42318 is a reply to message #42309] Sun, 31 August 2003 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
May I ask another favor (glutton that I am!)?

Would you please send the plans for the Four Pi Pro (JBL)?

I'm beginning to think simplicity has it's unacknowledged virtues.

Thanks

Charlie

You've got mail! [message #42320 is a reply to message #42318] Sun, 31 August 2003 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You're the best ! Thanks. <nt> [message #42321 is a reply to message #42320] Sun, 31 August 2003 18:45 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Previous Topic: JBL Distortion Measurements
Next Topic: Voice Coil Inductance
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 11:12:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers