Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » basshorn
basshorn [message #42071] Thu, 31 July 2003 19:02 Go to next message
toxicport.e is currently offline  toxicport.e
Baron
hi wayne!

3segment conical basshorn

cant get rid of the 70hz peak,but i would use 70hz Fc low pass filter linkwitz riley,would it be -3db at that point??

its either this concept,or a derivative of it, or labsub with 1woofer modified.

:^)

Re: basshorn [message #42074 is a reply to message #42071] Thu, 31 July 2003 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I really like the response curve of your horn in eighth-space. That 70Hz peak isn't bad at all. It's only a 4dB peak, and so your horn would still be +/-3dB from 30Hz to 150Hz. And if it's a straight horn or has reflectors that propogate high frequency energy, you'll probably find it goes a lot higher, if that's important to you.

Most woofers have rising response, and this tends to act in a complementary fashion to the falling response of the horn, unless there is a low-pass filter in the system. A low-pass filter can take the form of an electronic crossover or it can be an acoustic filter made by horn folds that reflect midrange energies within the horn instead of directing them towards the mouth. If you plan to crossover at 100Hz, this is of little importance. But if you want the option of higher-frequency output, then wave path and reflector geometries become significant.

Re: basshorn [message #42075 is a reply to message #42074] Thu, 31 July 2003 23:58 Go to previous message
toxicport.e is currently offline  toxicport.e
Baron
room modes will show up muckn up my nice response anyway :-P

it wil be a large room, approx 28ft x 19ft or so.

:-D

i am progressing in the modeling,im up to getting the labsub onto paper to compare it to mine,with the folding.i reduced the 1st fold in from the mouth to cram it into necessary size :^)

at the 'horn loudspeaker forum' W H geiger has helped alot.
http://f16.parsimony.net/forum27133/

Regards
_Mike

Previous Topic: Yet another 511B Update!
Next Topic: Attenuator cap in crossover question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 15:23:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout