Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Theater Pi 4 bass response
Theater Pi 4 bass response [message #41756] Mon, 30 June 2003 16:20 Go to next message
Neo is currently offline  Neo
Baron

I built my Theater 4 Pi's almost a year ago. I really like their sound but the bass has always been less than I want. The only changes I made to the design, was to use Acousta Foam from Parts Express rather than fiber-glass and I didn't stop at doing only three sides. I did all sides except the front where the drivers are mounted using the 1.5" foam. At first I did only the three sides, but after listening some and not finding the clearity in the mid-range, I padded the other 2 sides. They are now very nice in the midrange and highs, but I would like more bass. I've got some powered sub-woofers hooked up now, but they don't always sound right... a little sloppy sounding sometimes. I also have rebuilt the crossover using an Alpha Core flat wire inductor (same guage wire as original) in series with the woofer and Auricaps for the tweeter.

I don't have an SPL meter, but the bass seems much less than the Bottlehead Straight 8's.

Have I done something wrong ?

Tom

Re: Theater Pi 4 bass response [message #41757 is a reply to message #41756] Mon, 30 June 2003 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Having noted the many too little/too much/just right bass opinions for the 4's as well as the too much/too little.....etc. with the EL-34 Ella's and the too much, blah, blah for the Paramours; the following:
Bass is in the ears of the beholder.
Musical genre, room characteristics, source, amplification, crossover parts, wires (maybe) and cabinet construction in descending order all play a part.
Get what YOU need.

Re: Theater Pi 4 bass response [message #41758 is a reply to message #41757] Mon, 30 June 2003 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
I would agree, and perhaps interchange 1 and 2. The room is SO much of every system equation. Bill, did you read Rod Elliots article Wayne linked?
A quote from the end of the article............
"Human hearing is very adept at picking the original sound from the reverberant field, provided the early reflections are not so early that they influence the direct sound. Given the highly reverberant listening rooms of some people, I have difficulty understanding how that can even tell what anything really sounds like - yet they will happily espouse their theories on what makes the sound better, ignoring the fact that their room will destroy the sound of any loudspeaker.

Finally, the quality of much of the recorded material available is absolutely woeful. Equalised to within an inch of its life (so it will sound "good" on crappy systems), compressed, "aurally excited" (ptooey!), and generally mangled beyond all recognition. To be sure, quality recordings are available, but are they available from your favourite artist(s)? Usually not, so you either have to change your musical tastes to experience a decent recording, or put up with the rubbish that is often the only version of the artist/ song available. I have so many CDs and vinyl recordings that I find unlistenable on a decent system that it's not funny - for one CD, I have to switch off my subwoofer, or all my windows will fall"

BTW, dude, what have you been up to? Latest project??
MBB

Re: Theater Pi 4 bass response [message #41761 is a reply to message #41756] Tue, 01 July 2003 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm sure you've taken care of this long ago, but just to be sure - Did you install the right tweeter circuit? I remember we discussed this last July and you said you had wired up the tweeter circuit wrong. If you fixed that, then I expect you may be just craving a speaker having lower bass tuning. You might look into a more powerful woofer or a π cornerhorn. Or you might consider using a pair of 2245's and making subwoofers out of those.
Re: Theater Pi 4 bass response [message #41765 is a reply to message #41761] Tue, 01 July 2003 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hi Wayne,
Thanks for your JBL 2245 suggestion. Is there a little cheaper Eminance alternative ? Or can used 2245's be found. Also, the Pi 4's already take up alot of room, so I'd like as small a solution as possible. Right now I'm using a pair of powered 10" subwoofers that go under my BESL series 5 monitors (Bamberg engineering sound labs).
Not bad sounding but alittle sloppy sometimes.

And yes, I've corrected the tweeter crossover circuit. I forgot, it's been awhile. My Pi 4 and Parabee combo sounds wonderful and keeps sounding better as things breakin.

Tom

Re: Theater Pi 4 bass response [message #41766 is a reply to message #41756] Tue, 01 July 2003 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jtsjf is currently offline  jtsjf
Chancellor
Neo,
Similarly, I thought the highs were a bit too much on my Theater 4pis after I put them together. I just replaced one of the resistors in the tweeter circuit with a higher value, and that, as they say, was that. Now they are just about perfect...for my room...for my amps...etc..etc... So, could it be that the speakers are too bright, instead of lacking in bass?

Cheers,
Jason

Re: Theater Pi 4 bass response [message #41768 is a reply to message #41766] Tue, 01 July 2003 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Jason,

Thanks for the input...
The highs and mids seems good to very-good... On some stuff it seems like there could be more shimmer to cymbals and more snar to the snar drum, but vocals are right-on. The bass on classical is 'okay', but on some rock like Pink Floyd and some Blues stuff like Buddy Guy where strong bass is a fundemental part of the experiance - I want more bass.

Tom

Just curious... [message #41770 is a reply to message #41766] Tue, 01 July 2003 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
...what resistor did you swap out and what value went in? I think Neo's problem is probably room related but the balance of freq. responce is vital to the enjoyment of music. If rock is your thing and the system doesn't do it right you know it!!! I tried adding a bit of inductance to the woofer's crossover and got what I thought was a pleasing balance of tone only to find after a while that the music was dulled and lacked some excitement. Out came the added coil and the music came back alive. Anyway, in my room the Theater 4's can be a bit too much on some recordings, sounding bright and in your face. Other recordings of similar music sound perfect!

G.

Re: Theater Pi 4 bass response [message #41772 is a reply to message #41768] Tue, 01 July 2003 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jtsjf is currently offline  jtsjf
Chancellor
Tom,
When I increased the resistor value on the tweeter (I don't remember the exact values- I think I replaced a 10R with a 50R...), it didin't change the sound much, just increased the bass relative to the tweeter. So, if you're not happy with the upper frequencies- the shimmer to the cymbals, etc. it may not be worth your time.
On a heavier note, the song I like to listen to for bass is 'Flight of the Cosmic Hippo' by Bela Fleck. LOL, now that's some bass.
I've never heard the straight eights, so I'm kind of speaking in a vacuum here.

Good Luck,
Jason

'Flight of the Cosmic Hippo' ... I gotta try that [message #41776 is a reply to message #41772] Tue, 01 July 2003 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Baron
Thanks Jason.

Always open for good music suggestions.

When I put my ear close to the tweeter and then the woofer, the tweeter definitely effects way above what I think of as the 'mid-range'. I found the high-end of the woofer range 1000-1600 cps to be more than I like so I did what I just read Garland did... I've added .5mh in series with the woofer inductor. For me it fixed the 'problem'. According to my ear doctor, my hearing drops off sharply after 3000 cps. And looking at the graph he drew, I was most sensitive around 1500-2000 cps. These are very rough charts I think, but it seems confirm what sounds best to me with the changes I made.

My current subwoofers sound damn good. I'm gonna go listen some more.

See ya,
Tom

Previous Topic: The Final Decision
Next Topic: 4 Pi Construction Question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 17:19:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers