Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Displacement of driver
Displacement of driver [message #41431] Mon, 19 May 2003 15:30 Go to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hey everyone.

I need to know how much volume in litres the Eminence Alpha 6 takes up so I can add that to my final back chamber volume.

Also, their website states an xmax of 0mm, does anyone know how much excursion (linear, one way) I can really get out of it?

I emailed Eminence about a week ago, and no response :-( I hope somebody can help me!

Thanks!
Adrian

Re: Displacement of driver [message #41435 is a reply to message #41431] Mon, 19 May 2003 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

To find the volume displaced by a driver, I often use the "volume.exe" program included in the PiAlign program distribution. It's just a simple little program that computes the volume of primitives like cones and cylinders and stuff. You can estimate the displacement easily by estimating the speaker basket as a cone and the magnet as a cylinder. This process of modeling a complex shape using a series of primitives is called constructive solid geometry.

For example, if the speaker is 6" diameter and the cone is about 1.5" deep, then the basket can be estimated at 15 cubic inches. Then, if the magnet is a cylindrical shape roughly 4" diameter and 2" deep, then that's another 25 cubic inches. So you add the two and come up with a total displacement of 40 cubic inches.

Re: Displacement of driver [message #41446 is a reply to message #41435] Thu, 22 May 2003 01:46 Go to previous message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Great! It works very well. :-)

Compression drivers should be coming in about 5 days :D

Previous Topic: Speaker pics of NE Bot Meet
Next Topic: Xover
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 07:13:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio