Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Wayne's presentation and speakers @ MWAF
Wayne's presentation and speakers @ MWAF [message #40970] Mon, 14 April 2003 12:55 Go to next message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
The Midwest Audio Fest was my first encounter with Pi speakers and first time to meet Wayne.

Wayne's crossover design seminar alone was well worth the nineteen-hundred-mile round trip. I learned why my crossovers were not working! Thank you, Wayne, for not holding back your hard-earned knowledge from the rest of the world!

Then at the very end of the day Saturday, I went up to Wayne's room (it hadn't been open when I stopped by earlier). He had the 7 Pi's playing in the corner. The sound was very natural and enjoyable. And the 7 Pi's had this rare quality (which I happen to think is more than just a neat party trick ): When you were no longer able to hear their direct sound (say you were around the corner or something), they still had natural tonal balance! That means the reverberant field is tonally correct, which is extremely rare in reproduced sound; but a given in live, unamplified sound. A well-executed full-range corner horn is among the few formats that can get the reverberant field right.

By the way, David Martinelli's woodwork on that pair of 7 Pi's was exquisite. They were finished in the most beautiful French walnut I've ever seen. Slobbbbber!

Wayne, I got the itch. Got it bad. Could you e-mail me a set of plans for the 7 Pi??

Thank you sir!

Duke

Re: Wayne's presentation and speakers @ MWAF [message #40972 is a reply to message #40970] Mon, 14 April 2003 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
Funnnnnny you should mention that; I was in his suite late in the evening, drink somebodys homebrew and making phallic gestures in the air with George's cigar while explaining my difficult role in an invitro fertilization procedure.........but I digress.......anyway, I noticed precisely the same thing, sitting around the corner from the 7's. That is the kind of thing I thought only I noticed.......You are so right about that.......and it IS an uncommon quality, and a good one. Wayne probably wonders why I didn't sit and listen in front of them at some point; actually, hearing them from where I sat was all I needed to hear. Very cool. It was also fun to discuss our thoughts about various people on the forums and share our insights about these cyber-souls. Glad you made it and found it worthwhile.

Around the bend... [message #40973 is a reply to message #40972] Mon, 14 April 2003 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Mike,

Thanks for validation of the 7 Pi's sound from around the bend!

With a really good system, you can sit in the sweet spot and close your eyes and it can fool you into thinking real, live performers are there. But from around a corner, or even the next room, it's pretty obvious whether it's live or Memorex. This is because "around the bend", all you can possibly hear is the reverberant field, and very few speakers generate a tonally correct reverberant field because their directional characteristics change with frequency. A good corner horn is among the rare exceptions - it radiates into a 90-degree angle up and down the spectrum. Of course, live music also sounds correct from the next room. The speakers I peddle, Sound Lab's big faceted-curved electrostats, are among the other approaches that create a tonally correct reverberant field.

I only listened to the 7 Pi's for a few minutes, but I would predict that they'd be extremely relaxing to listen to long-term. The tonal balance was good, and having the reverberant field sound like the direct sound contributes to long-term listening enjoyment. When there is a significant discrepancy between the first-arrival sound and the reverberant sound, the ear/brain system has to work harder to integrate these two tonally disparate events, and the eventual result can be listening fatigue.

Enjoyed your taking the time to explain microphone/singer proximity effects to me at the show!

Best wishes,

Duke

Correction... [message #40978 is a reply to message #40970] Mon, 14 April 2003 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
...that should have been "Bill Martinelli" (aka bmar), not "David", given credit for the gorgeous woodwork on the 7 Pi's in Wayne's room.
You've got mail! [message #40980 is a reply to message #40970] Mon, 14 April 2003 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks for your kind words. It was a pleasure to meet you at the show. And I'm sorry that we didn't have more of a chance to visit.

I was thinking about you the next day, during the trip home. I remembered that you came up to me after the seminar, and I invited you up to my room. When you were there, things were hectic and I didn't get a chance to visit with you very much, and I'm sorry. I wish you had been able to "hang out" with some of us around the tables that evening.

Let's do it next time, OK? In the meantime, I've sent your plans so check your mail.

THANKS!! (nt) [message #40991 is a reply to message #40980] Tue, 15 April 2003 08:43 Go to previous message
Grand Master

Previous Topic: JBL 2225 diaphram, JBL 2226H recone
Next Topic: So who wants to go to Kentucky?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:59:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio