Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2 Pi Studio just completed...
2 Pi Studio just completed... [message #40904] Tue, 08 April 2003 04:08 Go to next message
Bubbawat is currently offline  Bubbawat
Chancellor
Well, mostly completed. Tested in downstairs office and all said before is true about the speaker. The Eminence speaker really shines and I will be looking to keep the tweeter in line - it was a tad harsh in my set up, but I am sure that positioning will cure that.

The box is finished in Oak with a light stain, black baffle w/black port and recessed speakers. I will be trimming the face w/Oak, laying the final finish and making a custom grille cover based on my lovely wife's design (it will include deco Oak designs laid on top of black cloth covered hardboard with cutouts for speakers and ports - construction akin to the Heresy grille). It is inspired by a grille that is on our Victrola. I will send pictures to Wayne and he can do with as he likes.

The total cost for thes will be in the $200 range. Quite honestly an outstanding deal to date. Horns are definitely next..

Sweet! [message #40905 is a reply to message #40904] Tue, 08 April 2003 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm glad to hear you got your two π's done. I really like 'em, and I would rather have the KSN-1038's in these speakers than most any other tweeters in their price range. Honestly, I think that people who expect harshness from a piezo hear what they are expecting to hear. Put 'em in a blind listening test and they love what they hear. Sure, we've all heard bad implementations of piezo's, but the 1038's sound great and they work well when paired with Alpha 8's and 10's. Anyway, I'm glad you finished your speakers and I'm anxious to see them with your grilles. Sounds like you've done a fabulous job!

clarification [message #40911 is a reply to message #40905] Wed, 09 April 2003 04:11 Go to previous message
Bubbawat is currently offline  Bubbawat
Chancellor
Just to be sure - I am not bashing the HF. Due to the way I had this set up for testing I had the tweeter firing right at my ear (the good one - at my age you start finding out which ear is younger) and was A/B with the Heresy on the other channel - it is a different sound - harsh was the wrong term.

Also, when I stepped to what I aproximate would have been closer to a real listening position with similar reflections it was clearly better - just what I anticipate when completed and set up. It is an outstanding sound for the price and I really do like the simple beauty of the box. I am getting better with the table saw...

I will probably send these to school with my daughter this fall - I need to be sure she has her own money pit addiction. I plan on many hours of enjoyment before then.

We will start discussing a box with at least one horn next (aren't the Martinelli's georgeous?). I am looking for pretty on all levels (sound and appearance).

Henry

Previous Topic: Change of rooms at MAF for Wayne
Next Topic: 10pi plans?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 20:21:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers