Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Some Speakers questions
Some Speakers questions [message #40871] Sat, 05 April 2003 14:36 Go to next message
GoodEarBadSmarts is currently offline  GoodEarBadSmarts
Esquire
I have a question, would good SPEAKER SYSTEMS be better to use for amplifying my instruments (guitar bass etc.). The only cool thing im finding in normal guitar/bass amplifiers is that it comes with effects. Do some speaker systems have the same capability as amps? What is a subwoofer? Is that bass speakers? What can I use to amplify my instruments OTHER than normal instrument amplifiers? I want quality sound, and expandibility/compatibility (I would be able to play guitar on it, and also be able to play bass on it and still have good bassy sound)
Sorry I couldn't really state my questions more clearly.
"HiFi" or "PA" [message #40873 is a reply to message #40871] Sat, 05 April 2003 15:18 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Musical instrument speakers tend to favor high output but sometimes at the expense of accuracy of reproduction. Since their primary purpose is sound generation rather than reproduction, some consider them to be a part of the instrument being played rather than as a playback device. In the former case, modification of the waveform is acceptable. In the latter, it is hoped to make the illusion that the speaker is playing exactly what came into the recording system without adding or taking away anything.

Having said all that, one should also know that both schools of thought strive to produce essentially the same thing. Good quality parts made for either purpose tend to perform well for "HiFi" or for "PA", stadium or theater use.

Previous Topic: Tube Friendly Xovers?
Next Topic: A Really Stupid Question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 15:35:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout