Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Paramours and other goodies for LIMA
Paramours and other goodies for LIMA [message #40724] Tue, 25 March 2003 19:48 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've just opened the box to my Paramour kits. I've had this box here for probably two or three months now and I haven't even opened it. But I just now did, and I'm impressed!

I probably should post on the Bottlehead forum, and I think I will when I'm done. What I'm most impressed with is the documentation that Dan and Eileen put together. I would have been happy with a schematic and the parts and panels. But their documentation is written for laymen, and is quite thorough.

I'd say it is about 15 man-hours work to complete the two mono amps. Maybe 8 man-hours for a race-job, and 30 hours for a novice with an iron.

Anyway, I'll bring my Paramours. I'm assembling them exactly as the plans say, so that mine are a representation of the entry-level product, unmodified.

I'll also be bringing a Crown Microtech 2400, NAD C160 preamp and a Harman Kardon 3475 receiver. These will drive a pair of Studio Series tower two π's and a pair of Stage Series seven π's with Martinelli horns. I'm going to bring a couple of Sony CD players, but that's it for source. Some of you have offered to provide source equipment, fine turntables and high-quality digital players. So I'm very pleased.

On this thread, I'd like to see each of us confirm what we plan to bring and what we hope to see and do. So please reply with your equipment list, room number and your hopes and intentions. There's a little collection of comments, proposed equipment lists and schedules for the upcoming Midwest Audiofest in the post called "Things to do and see at MAF 2003."

I'll be in rooms 503 and 504, and I'll have two systems setup there. On Saturday the 12th at 2:30pm, I'll have the "Crossover Electronics 101" seminar, otherwise known as the "Lima Lab," in the East end of the North exhibit hall. Bill Epstein and Bill Martinelli will be having a woodworking seminar at 9:00am in the West end of the North exhibit hall. I'm not a morning person, but I really want to attend their seminar. There are several other interesting events as well.

Re: Paramours and other goodies for LIMA [message #40725 is a reply to message #40724] Wed, 26 March 2003 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Edwin is currently offline  Edwin
Baron
Hi Wayne,
Great news that you are finally building the 'Mours. After you have experimented with the different Pis please do post your recommendations.That, I will eagerly await :-)
Best Regards,
Edwin
Re: Paramours and other goodies for LIMA [message #40727 is a reply to message #40724] Wed, 26 March 2003 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
Wayne,

Glad you're getting at the 'mours! In keeping them entry-level, at least install the C4S that comes std w/ the kit- big step up, and don't forget to allow break-in time if you got it- takes abt 40-50 hours for them to get where they're going. I'm also waiting for your report on optimum speakers for them after you get some time on them...

Good luck with them!

Matts

Re: Paramours and other goodies for LIMA [message #40728 is a reply to message #40724] Wed, 26 March 2003 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Definite on the Ella and the SACD 775. Matt Anker says he's bringing his "blown" 555-ES with the Iskenderian cams and Edelbrock headers and would be glad to bring it by the Pi Rooms.
I'm veneering as fast as I can. 2 speakers, 12 sides, 3 sides per day, finishing, curing time and help getting them in the truck here, don't hold your breath. And if it's rainy, no go.
Martinelli, on the other hand........
SACD's [message #40729 is a reply to message #40728] Wed, 26 March 2003 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
billfort is currently offline  billfort
Baron
I'll bring along a case of SACD's.
Re: Paramours and other goodies for LIMA [message #40730 is a reply to message #40728] Wed, 26 March 2003 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Iskenderian - I haven't heard that name in a while. I understand they're still doing buisiness though.

About your Ella and SACD units, I'd really like to hear those on the two's and seven's. So if you wouldn't mind a bit of swapping going on between friends, I'm game. Same with Matt's hot-rod 555-ES.

By the way, what room are you in?

Re: Paramours and other goodies for LIMA [message #40731 is a reply to message #40727] Wed, 26 March 2003 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I've got the stock kits done, and I'm going to glue together the base and power up the Paramours this evening. Right now, the weather is too good to be messing around with a soldering iron. Some steaks on the grille are calling my name. But this evening, I'll put a pair of little one π's on the stock Paramours and give it the first "taste test."

What improvements do you hear with the C4S upgrade? Why do you think it was added? If you've got some links to information on the Bottlehead site or forum, I'd sure like to see them.

Re: Paramours and other goodies for LIMA [message #40732 is a reply to message #40725] Wed, 26 March 2003 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'm anxious to play with the Paramours too. I've had lots of feedback from both the Bottlehead and Consonance (DIYHiFi) camps that the Theater four's and Studio two's are really great. I'll be trying lots of different speakers, but I think I'll find that speakers with woofers having low Zmax are best. Those are the ones described as being "tube friendly" on this forum. But still, I'll try all of them as time permits, and if I find any exceptions to the rule, I'll be sure to make mention of it.
Re: C4S [message #40733 is a reply to message #40731] Wed, 26 March 2003 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Measurably reduces hum and increases clarity of the upper octaves. I took that as gospel, especially the hum part, so I built in the C4S from the beginning. It took a little doing but, but I got the hum down to less than 2 mV. Audible improvement.
Room number? It's the fourth parking spot from the street.
There is going to be an SACD player there! [message #40734 is a reply to message #40729] Wed, 26 March 2003 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Robert Hamel is currently offline  Robert Hamel
Viscount
Wow great I don't have too many but I will bring some too.
Previous Topic: Question for Wayne Re: Paramour Parafeed caps with Pi Theater 4's
Next Topic: Alpha 6 and horn loading
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 21:58:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout