Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Joints
Joints [message #40355] Thu, 20 February 2003 08:34 Go to next message
frog is currently offline  frog
Chancellor
I have a question about joints on a pair of 2 PI bass reflex speakers. I just cut my MDF to size last night, and this weekend I am going to assemble the cabinets. My question is if you guys recommend using biscuit joints for the cabinets, and if so what kind of glue? This seems the easiest route to me, but I am open to suggestions. If anybody has any input I would greatly appreciate it.
dados and rabbets [message #40356 is a reply to message #40355] Thu, 20 February 2003 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeff g is currently offline  jeff g
Chancellor
for what it's worth, i used dados on the sides - with the top and bottom sliding into these grooves - and rabbets along the entire perimeter of the front and back pieces so that they fit inside the sides.

this may be more work than necessary but it's pretty solid. i also did mortise and tenon fitting for the inside braces - way more difficult than necessary and not recommended unless you're just practicing woodworking skills

Biscuits [message #40361 is a reply to message #40355] Thu, 20 February 2003 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
As a new woodworker, I'm a big fan of biscuits with plain old yellow glue. They're invaluable for alignment and add strength to boot. My MDF cabinets are rock solid, if I do say so myself. Be generous with the glue -- MDF soaks it up like a sponge.
Committee For the Abolition of Yellow Glue [message #40377 is a reply to message #40361] Sat, 22 February 2003 20:13 Go to previous message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
It sets up too fast. Tougher to scrape off raw wood when dry. Harder on tools: planes, scrapers, etc.
White is all you need and has 2 to 3 times the open time. Great for biscuits and yummy on rolls, too.
Doesn't anybody cut splines anymore? Perfect for MDF and no jointer or biscuits to buy. Better alignment than biscuits, too.
Previous Topic: 4 Pi Theater Plans, Please
Next Topic: Lima Vinyl
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 14:08:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout