Home » Audio » General » White Lightning ICs
White Lightning ICs [message #4874] Thu, 15 May 2008 21:32 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I built a pair last week and had problems with the very low heat resistance of the insulation. Trashed a few of the Ken Shindo-approved RCAs. I also wanted to try using all 3 wires, 2 for the neutral.

First try I used some shrink tube to overcome the propensity of the thin metal of the shield to come in contact with the hot pin.

Jeff day is right in that his method of crimping and then soldering the folded over neutral wire to the shield id too bulky. I found that using the method for Vampire RCAs, soldering to the shield inside, allowed all 3 to be used. However, the poor heat resistance of the insulation on the hot wire caused a short when it melted from applying heat to the neutral in such close proximity. I used 450 degrees C., less wouldn't get it done.

It's essential to tin the wires. You also have to fasten the RCA to the bench (I used tape) as the hot wire wanted to creep out of the barrel when the iron was applied w/o using the crimpers.

Soldering the neutral to the crimper(?) before crimping it down solved the problem. Now paying more attention to the heat, and waiting to crimp the hot wire until after heating the joint, the need for shrink tube was eliminated.

These RCAs are cheap and the ICs sound about the same as some big name wires I have on loan. They also sound much better than any other DIY attempts I've done with the exception of Cardas Micro-twin terminated with Vampire solid copper $$$ RCAs; maybe even better than the Blue Jeans LC-1.

The review has links to the vendors.

Re: White Lightning ICs [message #4875 is a reply to message #4874] Fri, 16 May 2008 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
These sound like a real PitA to construct. Nice photos.....C

Re: NOT-a-PITA [message #4876 is a reply to message #4875] Fri, 16 May 2008 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Kinda fun, actually, both figuring out what works and seeing the finish.

Re: White Lightning ICs [message #4879 is a reply to message #4874] Sat, 17 May 2008 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hey Bill, those are slick, and in my budget too !!!

I may have to try to make a couple pair.

Re: White Lightning ICs [message #4881 is a reply to message #4879] Sat, 17 May 2008 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
And the neat thing is that the Woods extension cords come in white, orange, black and green in 16ga. If you want 14ga,you can get it in yellow. IIRC, the 14ga only comes in orange. If you don't want to fool around with the third wire, you can get 16ga in a variety of colors. It, well, ZIP CORD!!

In all seriousness, there are some cables better than 16ga zip cord, but not many. I consider 16ga zip cord to be the standard anything esle must beat.

Bob

Re: Upon further review [message #4882 is a reply to message #4879] Sat, 17 May 2008 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
One of the most recent pair, which tested perfect, shorted. Sure enough, the thin shield was touching the hot pin.

I went back to placing shrink tube over the hot pin and a 1/4" or so of the hot wire.

I also revisited the crimp and solder, magnifying the pic Jeff Day took for his review.

As you can see, especially if you enlarge with MS My Pictures, one barrel crimp is pressed down and then the neutral is sandwiched between it and the other. This may be a better method of making a good mechanical connection while still protecting the hot wire from the iron heat.

I'm kinda obssessing because my previous fave connectors were vampire 800C, $27/pr and Eichmann at $44/ set of 4. The Switchcraft have gone up, BTW, ten piecees will now set you back $18.80.

Re: Upon further review [message #4884 is a reply to message #4882] Mon, 19 May 2008 15:11 Go to previous message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
How about covering the too-easy-to-melt insulation with a sleeve of teflon, of correct diameter? You solder the shield connection first, right? Then you could even wrap it in teflon tape for a bit better heat and insulation, maybe.

Previous Topic: Slide show
Next Topic: Lone Star Bottleheads - Houston, May 31st
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 14:03:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout