Home » Audio » LSAF » LSAF 2008 Show Report
LSAF 2008 Show Report [message #4846] Fri, 09 May 2008 16:50 Go to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
The 2008 Lone Star Audio Festival could not have happened on a more beautiful weekend, springtime in Dallas is very pleasant.

My wife and I enjoyed this year's event very much.

The atmosphere was very relaxed where the audio equipment designers were easily accessible.
I was able to learn some valuable bits of information, from proper speaker set up, to the use of some quality digital recording software, along with many other things.

There was a variety of different types of equipment displayed this year at LSAF.

There were some great sounding systems at the show that stood out in my opinion.

My favorite system consisted of the AudioKinesis Dream Maker bipole speakers, driven by the Richard Gray Designed NTV 6.2 single ended amplifier that used the VT-25/10Y triode output tube.

Also, the Maxxhorn Lumination that used the 5" Feastrex fullrange driver with a very large Alnico magnet sounded very quick, clean and coherent. These 5" fullrange drivers sounded much bigger than any 5" speaker should be able to sound.
Maxxhorn was driving their speakers with an ART Audio Clarissa SE 845 based integrated amplifier, and the Ayon Spark SE 6C33B based integrated amplifier.

Thank you to John Busch for bringing his Altec 705 coaxial open baffles speakers that were reconed by Great Plains Audio. These vintage coaxial speakers makes one realize that we may have forgotten many more things about quality sound reproduction than we ever should have. John's Altec open baffle speaker played music, with a great midrange.

Let's not forget the sound of speakers that use large woofers, such as the Four Pi two-way design by Pi Speakers. The Four-Pi use the 15" JBL 2226H woofer and horn loaded B&C DE250 compression driver. The Four Pi speakers sounded big and dynamic, simplicity.

Speaking of BIG woofers, the Hawthorne Duet open baffle speaker design that uses the 15" Silver Iris coaxial and 15" Augie bass woofer sounded BIG and easy to listen to.

There is just no substitute for the sound of large woofers, they bring allot of warmth and fullness while recreating the musical event.

I also want to mention some nice sounding fullrange speakers that used Lowther drivers from Brines Acoustics, and the Medallion brought by Skip Pack, great vocal reproduction.

There were a few turntables in use at the show. Audio Note displayed their TT2 turntable with Arm3 and Audio Note IO1 Moving Coil Cartridge , it sounded very warm and inviting, like analog should.

And Maxxhorn had a custom designed Mikro Seiki turntable on display, the model BL-51 with MA-505 MKII tonearm. Unfortunately, I did not get to listen to the Mikro Seiki turntable set up, I certainly would have loved to. Especially since analog is still my favorite source medium after all of these years, regardless of the progress made by the digital and CD medium.

But that is just how I hear it after over 30 years of playing around with audio equipment, maybe it is an age thing.

All in all, this years LSAF was a good show, and I am looking forward to next year.

I want to thank Shane Moore for taking some Great Pictures of the LSAF 2008.

Shane's pictures will follow this report, one exhibitor at a time.

Most of all, I want to say a big Thank You to Everyone who attended and exhibited at this years Lone Star Audio Fest!

Without all of you, I would have not had so much fun.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in 2009

Pi Speakers [message #4847 is a reply to message #4846] Fri, 09 May 2008 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master

Pi Speakers

Pi Speakers displaying their Model Four-Pi two-way speakers that use JBL 2226H 15" Woofers and B&C DE250 Compression Drivers with Premium Level Crossover utilizing 15 gauge Air Coils, Mills Resistors, and AuriCaps.
All Pi Speakers can be ordered in kit form, or as completed speakers with various degrees of component choices.

Audio Note Kit 2 Single Ended SE Amplifier using Tung-Sol 6550 Output Tubes, the source was a Denon DVD-3800BDCI Player.

Wayne Parham of Pi Speakers standing in front of his system.
Thanks Wayne for all of your hard work towards the organization of the Lone Star Audio Fest 2008!!!!

Skip Pack [message #4848 is a reply to message #4846] Fri, 09 May 2008 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master

Skip Pack

Skip Pack, who is a dedicated Audio Enthusists displayed his personal system at the show.
Skip came to share his knowledge and love for audio and music with his fellow enthusiasts.

SqueezeBox SB3 using the Inguz Audio EQ Plug-In with the TwistedPear Audio Opus DAC.

Bottlehead S.E.X. Tube Amplifier with MagneQuest Iron and 6BM7 output tubes.

Skip's Lowther Medallion II Cabinets with PM2C Drivers.

Maxxhorn [message #4849 is a reply to message #4846] Fri, 09 May 2008 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master

Maxxhorn

Maxxhorn Lumination Loudspeakers utilizing the Feastrex D5 Alnico Full-Range Driver.

ART Audio –Clarissa SE Integrated Amplifier using 845 Output Tubes and the Vinyl One Reference phono preamplifier was used in the Maxxhorn Room.

Ayon Spark SE Integrated Amplifier using the Russian 6C33B Output Tube.

Custom Mikro Seiki BL-51 Turntable with MA505 Mark III Tone Arm.

Bob Spence of Maxxhorn standing next to the Lumination.

Smith and Larson Audio [message #4850 is a reply to message #4846] Fri, 09 May 2008 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master

Smith and Larson Audio

Keith Larson of Smith and Larson Audio – the makers of Speaker Tester 2 and Woofer Tester 2.
Thanks Keith for giving the Seminar on Loudspeaker Measurements.

Jumping Cactus Loudspeakers [message #4851 is a reply to message #4846] Fri, 09 May 2008 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master

Jumping Cactus Loudspeakers

The Jumping Cactus loudspeakers are a three-way high efficiency design that utilizes powder coated Isolated Aluminum Enclosures with wood baffles in exotic finishes.
The speaker comes with the option of Passive Crossovers, or Active four-way Crossovers Model XM44.

Audio Electronic Supply SE-1 Amplifier with Western Electric 300B output tubes.
The amplifier also had Shuguang 2A3C output tubes in use during the show.

Jim Harrell of Jumping Cactus Loudspeakers proudly displaying his creation.

Hawthorne Audio [message #4852 is a reply to message #4846] Fri, 09 May 2008 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master

Hawthorne Audio

Hawthorne Audio Duet Dipole-Open Baffle Speakers using the Silver Iris 15" Coaxial Driver and 15" Augie Bass Driver

Closeup of the Duet.

Vaughn Audio SE EL84 Tube Amplifier.

Digital Front-End.

Brad Baker of Hawthorne Audio.

John Busch [message #4853 is a reply to message #4846] Fri, 09 May 2008 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master

John Busch

Dipole-Open Baffle Speakers by John Busch that utilizes the Altec 705A Coaxial with upgraded GPA Cones and Diaphragm driven by an ASL push-pull EL34 Tube Amplifier.
The Bass Driver is an 18" Eminence Woofer driven by a Plate Amplifier.

Antique Sound Lab AQ-1001DT push-pull EL34 Amplifier.

John Busch standing next to his Open Baffle Speaker.

Brines Acoustics [message #4855 is a reply to message #4846] Fri, 09 May 2008 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master

Brines Acoustics

Brines Acoustics Models (left to right)
FT-1600 MLT with Fostex FE167E
LT-2000 DX2 with Lowther DX2
FB-20 Bass Reflex with Fostex FE207E

Abraxas Audio 6BX7 Amplifier.

Bob Brines (seated on right)
Thanks Bob for the Seminar on ¼ Wave TL Principles.

Audio Federation - Audio Note [message #4856 is a reply to message #4846] Fri, 09 May 2008 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Grand Master

Audio Federation - Audio Note

Nellie Davis of Audio Federation proudly displaying their all Audio Note system

(left) Audio Note OTO Phono SE is a full function 10-watt class A SE EL84 Integrated Amplifier with MM phono stage
(center) Audio Note AN-S4 Moving Coil Step-Up Transformer wired with Audio Note Silver wire
(right) Audio Note CD 2.1X/II CD Player
(center front) Audio Note TT2 Turntable with Arm3 and Audio Note IO1 Moving Coil Cartridge
The electronics are supported by HRS M3 Isolation Bases, and all Cabling is by Audio Note.

Audio Note TT2 spinning vinyl.

Audio Note AN/E Spe HE Loud Speakers utilizing a new high efficiency Hemp Cone 8" Driver with Silver wired Voice Coil.

Previous Topic: More LSAF Pictures
Next Topic: LSAF 2008 Pictures
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:48:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout