Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » What are YOU doing this week?
What are YOU doing this week? [message #40091] Thu, 30 January 2003 14:52 Go to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Took a week off, I get 3/year now. Gonna build Theatre 4 Mark II's and sorta quasi Altec 19's for the 811/2226J combo. First thing Monday morning I threw my back out! No speakers.
But now I have no more boxes, everything's put away from the move and can even get my hands on all my tools.
Have to sit down every few minutes with my back this way so I've been doing a LOT of listening.
Had a CD re-issue of Szell/Cleveland playing Beethoven 7 at one point. Was thinking the the bass line was muddy and the image flat. Well, it was originally a Columbia.
Then I put on an SACD re-master of Szell/Cleveland playing Mendelsohn "Incidental Music To A Mid-Summer Night's Dream". Also originally a Columbia. Same recording team, same hall. What a difference. String bass clear, Clyde Duff' Tympani waaay back in the hall, Maurice Sharp and John Mack Flute-Oboe duets just heavenly. There's a place where the Trombones double the French Horns, usually this is where a lot of good systems leave you wondering which is which. Not this recording. Szell get's the blend right, but you know both sections are there. And the hall sounds, the strings are right, not glassy, etc.
SACD came along at just the right time. I wonder if it's a jaded dissatisfaction with a mature medium, CD, that has led to the marketing of these $15,000 CD players.
Gotta get back to Miles Davis 'Round About Midnight". It's ONLY a CD but hey, with "sidemen" like Coltrane, Garland, Chambers and Jones, who cares?
Re: What are YOU doing this week? [message #40093 is a reply to message #40091] Thu, 30 January 2003 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Sitting at work or should I say standing! Working on an architectural competition of a arts/civic center for a city in China. Three weeks from sketches to presentation. My role is as modelmaker. It's really amazing how much model you can produce with a laser cutter. Haven't seen much of the wife and kids let alone the music system. Did squeeze in one side of Julian Bream playing Britten -Awesome! before bed last night.

Garland

Re: What are YOU doing this week? [message #40094 is a reply to message #40091] Thu, 30 January 2003 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Good luck to your back my friend. I have to give a serious listen to your new found love of a cd at Lima. Might have to get one of those.
In between finish drying and veneer drying. I decided not to burn the horn speaker ive been fooling with. Tried some Beta10CX but they are definately not well suited for a horn. very muddy, smeared, distorted..... you name it. might try a few other things with them later on. Put a pair of JBL 10" in this thing and clarity jumped out! your surprised now right? The JBL's are a mid driver on a good day so i'm getting 62hz for a cut off. I have 3 other pair of 10" to try in this thing when more time permits. That's the day in the life this week.

Bill

Re: What are YOU doing this week? [message #40096 is a reply to message #40091] Thu, 30 January 2003 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I've not had back problems, but I know some guys that have. I definitely empathize.

I'm getting started on the "crossover electronics 101" thing for Lima. It's going to be a really good deal, sort of like electronics lab in school but real laid back.

Anyway, as I've been putting together the handouts, I couldn't help but think about how great it would be to have you and/or Martinelli do a seminar on woodworking tips and tricks. That's really just as important if not more so for making a DIY loudspeaker that's a "keeper." After all, they are furnature and "our kind" of speakers are large, so it's very noticable furnature. I can imagine it would be hard to do a seminar on woodworking in a hotel, demonstrations would be difficult. Maybe a slide show with explainations would work. I dunno, but I just thought it would really be great.

What do you think? I'll bet Baker could find another time slot.

Re: What are YOU doing this week? [message #40099 is a reply to message #40091] Fri, 31 January 2003 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cddeluca@telocity.com is currently offline  cddeluca@telocity.com
Esquire
For what it's worth, and it's not worth much, you can usually get significant relief from lower back pain by lying flat on the floor face down and pushing up with your arms to arch your back. Hold the position for something like 10 or 20 seconds, whatever's comfortable, and repeat as you feel necessary. It's a technique from McKenzie therapy - you could look on the net for details but the basis is giving the disks an opportunity to move inward back into place away from the affected nerves.
It has worked pretty well for many people I've recommended it to, including myself. Good luck, I know how badly it sucks.
"Who's On First?" [message #40100 is a reply to message #40096] Fri, 31 January 2003 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey Wayne, you did write 'sideshow', didn't you? Yeah, Abbot & Costello, Epstein & Martinelli! The biggest difference between him and me is the other Bill admits to burning his mistakes, I sneak out to the dumpster.
Yup, "we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes and we're wearing sunglasses".
I'm in San Francisco [message #40108 is a reply to message #40091] Fri, 31 January 2003 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
for the first time, digging the shit out of the restaraunts and the "scene"................wifey is here, she likes it too...........plan to start catching live music tonight.........dinner in Chinatown and then live jazz..............
MBB
amoeba records is worth a visit [message #40109 is a reply to message #40108] Fri, 31 January 2003 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
in the Haight. Sam
Re: amoeba records is worth a visit [message #40115 is a reply to message #40109] Sat, 01 February 2003 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
Thanks, I'll try to make it on Monday...........
MBB
Re: I'm in San Francisco [message #40121 is a reply to message #40108] Sun, 02 February 2003 18:41 Go to previous message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Mike,
Great city. Try and do dinner at the "stinking Rose" if you can. Its a trip. there is small bar 3 or 4 blocks down the hill. nice little joint with live music. Very classic old wooden bar and big paddle ceiling fans.
Previous Topic: Condolences to Columbia crew and families
Next Topic: One or Two PI
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:02:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout