Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Survived the move and made a discovery
Survived the move and made a discovery [message #39614] Fri, 27 December 2002 13:29 Go to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Just before I packed evrything away Tues nite, all the neighbors went away, even the Clydesdales upstairs. So naturally, being Christmas eve, I cranked the system on "Cantate Domino" and Handels' "Messiah"; Harnoncourt version on Chesky. In case you're wondering, this is what Jewish audiophiles do every Christmas Eve:)
Played louder and with more realistic dB's than I have in a long time. With the SET 2 watt Paramours on both the Theatre 4's and the 3677S cabs with the 2226J/2618 combo. Didn't strain either one.

Besides the magnificent music, I was struck by the airier quality of the PSD2002 on the Theatre's. More of a sense of space; of singers and players performing in a space.Lovely decay of notes held. I was especially listening for cross-over anomalies at these higher levels and could find none. The Soprano on "Silent Night" and especially John Shirley-Quirk's baritone were just gorgeous. The massed choirs on "O Holy Night" and 'The Hallelujah Chorus' had wonderful depth and width of soundstage and what sonority! SATB right there in my living room.
I was ready to be disappointed by playing this system at those levels with that content, but, I was amazed. The poor little 3677 hybrid ran and hid in the corner.
So now there's nothing to be done but build the little 4Pro box and try the PSD2002 with the 3677 with Wayne's crossover and Wayne's box size and Wayne's port!
Waynes the Man!
Oh yeah. Something needs to be written about how much better this system is with Matt Anker's mods to the Sony 775 (SAcdmods.com).Toroidal power supply, Black gates and the output biased into class "A" and the LCAudio clock. Whoa.Talk about inner detail. Talk about shimmering highs and voices and instruments coming from a blacker background! Who makes up these phrases, anyway? And why am I repeating them?
So how was your Christmas?

Re: Survived the move and made a discovery [message #39616 is a reply to message #39614] Fri, 27 December 2002 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hey TillE,
I disconnected the 2418/2373's on my 3677 cabinets and hooked up my Altec 806A/811B's after setting them on top, The 3677 cabinet is not perfectly in line with Wayne's 4-pi pro cabinet, but did you remove the foam from both ports??? It makes a big difference, Sorry, I have to try and defend the JBL 2226 against the vicious onslaught of the attack of the Eminence Delta 15.
Once I had the Altecs on top and tweaked the crossover a little to deal with 16 ohm drivers, sounds very good. Would be tranferring the crossover to my Altec A-8's, but alas, a situation you can relate to, My shower upstairs drained through the kitchen sink pipes and exited on my kitchen floor. 6 am in the morning is not fun time with shop-vac sucking up water from my kitchen floor, this is day 2, I think I am much better working with speakers than plumbing. Tried my second combination of drain cleaners today with not too good success. E-mail me buddy, I need help here. I can't work on speakers until I get this fixed up. Had to move the A-8 cabinets out of the kitchen in a hurry, they look like they did not get hurt too bad from the experience.

Regards, Ron

my 2 best gifts........................... [message #39617 is a reply to message #39614] Fri, 27 December 2002 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
i received are a ratshack digital spl meter and an "art blakey" 1958 paris olympia cd. i'm crankin the cd right now, enjoying the 2 watt peaks at 12 feet. measuring 96db on the meter. boy is it loud. the psd2002 sure sound sweet on bill's horns, i'll never change them. the karlson's are kick ass dynamic and i enjoy the raw edge they give to the music. i can picture art playing on stage with a room full of smoke from all those gitanes. those were the days!

enjoy the holidays!

george

Re: Survived the move and made a discovery [message #39620 is a reply to message #39614] Sat, 28 December 2002 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Christmas was great here - Been playing less than working for a change. Hey - Are you "not in exile" anymore? Are you in Florida?
Re: Survived the move and made a discovery [message #39622 is a reply to message #39614] Sat, 28 December 2002 11:48 Go to previous message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Survived what move willy? I must have missed something.
Christmas was great hear in ROchester. We had 10" of to wake up to Christmas morning so it was a white Christmas indeed. It proceeded to snow all day and now a few days after I'm now ready for spring and tired of running the heat out in the shop already! Been working on speakers (suprise) and doing some testing on 12" horns today. Trying to get a bunch of data compiled for the web page one of these days.

Bill

Previous Topic: Oil caps...
Next Topic: market value of ten pi's...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 05:29:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers