Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pictures of the "corner horn"
Pictures of the "corner horn" [message #39443] Thu, 12 December 2002 09:38 Go to next message
Michaelz is currently offline  Michaelz
Chancellor
Hi, Wayne and everyone:

Here are some pictures I took of the "corner horn". Sorry about the poor quality, but I hope they will give you an idea as to how big they are.

Wow! Very interesting! [message #39444 is a reply to message #39443] Thu, 12 December 2002 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That is an interesting arrangement. It's a very attractive box too!

Do you normally leave the cabinets sitting that close to the corner, or do you move them out from the wall a little?

Re: Wow! Very interesting! [message #39446 is a reply to message #39444] Thu, 12 December 2002 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hi, Wayne:

Thanks for the compliment! I heard of using Tung oil on your forum. Actually I heard of Tung oil ever since I was a child when I was in China, and I did not relate Tung oil to "tong you" (which is how it sounds in Chinese) before this project.

>Do you normally leave the cabinets sitting that close to the corner, or to you move them out from the wall a little?

Yes, this is the way I leave them to the corners. I ran the numbers in my Marshal Leach Util. I am trying to use the space between the three sides of the box and the two walls and the floor in such a way that the space would approximate the horn throat size recommended by the utility. The front chamber also needs to be reduced by sand bag to match the size by the utility. But I have not gotten to it yet.

That is cool! [message #39449 is a reply to message #39443] Thu, 12 December 2002 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LuxmanLover is currently offline  LuxmanLover
Master
I bet this would work really well in a good room.....neat idea and design...
Kelly
Re: Wow! Very interesting! [message #39451 is a reply to message #39446] Thu, 12 December 2002 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Sounds like an excellent idea. You can even mount a board on the front face of your woofer with a round or rectangular hole to set your compression ratio, if you wish. Just make a front plate that's the same diameter as your woofer, and cut a hole in it and violla! - compression greater than 1:1.
Ummmm.....Unhh.......Hmmmm......Aaaaaah........ [message #39453 is a reply to message #39443] Thu, 12 December 2002 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I gotta be the one to ask, Michaelz: how is the gorgeous tetrahedron with the stick on the front of it related to the cube in the corner?
What am I missing here?
And why does it lead Wayne to wonder about nailing a board across the front of it?
Re: Wow! Very interesting! [message #39454 is a reply to message #39451] Thu, 12 December 2002 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hi, Wayne:

That's a good idea! In fact the front chamber according to the ML Util is quite small, so your idea may be the only way to implement it.

Re: That is cool! [message #39455 is a reply to message #39449] Thu, 12 December 2002 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hi, Luxmanlover:

Even though the room is not made of concrete, the rough measurements

Re: Ummmm.....Unhh.......Hmmmm......Aaaaaah........ [message #39456 is a reply to message #39453] Thu, 12 December 2002 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hi, Till:

tetrahedron, I did not know that this is the name for the shape!

I gotta be the one to ask, Michaelz: how is the gorgeous tetrahedron with the stick on the front of it related to the cube in the corner?

It's the same cabinet or the back chamber of the "horn". From out side as in the first picture it looks like a cube, but it's hiding the tetrahedron against the corner of the room. The stick is used as support when the box is placed in the corner, so that the box will not lean against the walls. The upper side of the box in the second and third pictures is the down side in the first picture.

And why does it lead Wayne to wonder about nailing a board across the front of it?

Wayne's idea will make the space between the inner side of this board and the cone of the driver the front chamber of the "horn". The whole idea of "corner horn" is from Wayne's thought that below 40HZ in a average room, the bass is produced by the room corner unless the horn size is no problem. I just liked to make the coupling to the corner tighter and to reduce the size of the box itself. I would think that any 12" or 15" drivers suitable for horn loading would work this way. Just run the specs through the ML Util and simulate the horn in HornResp. I even have a small VB program to calculate the "room corner" conical horn size for use in HornResp.

Re: That is cool! [message #39457 is a reply to message #39455] Thu, 12 December 2002 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
No kidding - The nails that hold drywall to the studs in my home backed out, so I know what you mean!
Previous Topic: 2pi's
Next Topic: Pi-aligned line array?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 22:19:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout