Home » Audio » General » Poly vs Oil
Poly vs Oil [message #4735] Mon, 03 March 2008 14:11 Go to next message
Neo is currently offline  Neo
Baron
Question: I have been on a quest for audio nirvana for years now. I keep going back and forth between tonality and neutrality, if you know what I mean. Some components seem to add something that is pleasant but is this what I want? Other components seem to be more neutral and that sounds best to me in some cases but in others it isn't. My latest focus is on caps. Paper in oil caps have that warm holographic sound that you can definitely hear. Poly caps sounds just like a straight wire - you can't hear them at all. Isn't that what we want? On the other hand, oil caps sound mighty good in the right places. Right now I'm thinking poly caps in the crossover and oil caps in the amp. That spreads it around and sounds right to me. What have you guys used that sounded great?

Re: Poly vs Oil [message #4736 is a reply to message #4735] Mon, 03 March 2008 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
granch is currently offline  granch
Viscount
I am long past the age when I could hear such fine distinctions as you are making, but let me ask a question and make a suggestion. Is there any other way you have found to produce "that warm holographic sound"? If so, then I would go the Poly cap route because it is neutral and your putting it where you hear it all the time. For those times when you want the special sound, switch it into the line up so that you can also switch it out when you don't want it. Like a "tone control". Bob Carver had a circut once that was claimed to produce such an effect. I never heard it, but some liked it, some didn't.
-Dick

Re: Poly vs Oil [message #4737 is a reply to message #4736] Wed, 05 March 2008 11:44 Go to previous message
Neo is currently offline  Neo
Baron
Some tube amps throw a holographic soundstage. I always thought it was SET but now think maybe it was oil caps. Maybe it is both.

Previous Topic: What was the result of the 1944 Philco radio? nt
Next Topic: $40k Audio Equip. Contest -- Last Chance To Enter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 22:48:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout