Home » Audio » General » Why?
Why? [message #4723] Fri, 22 February 2008 23:40 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
On a headphone forum I visit there is a guy asking about amps and speakers. He has $500 for an amp and $1000 for the speakers. Good size room (? 12x18'). People keep suggesting to him that he needs as many watts as he can get, because a 200W RMS/8 ohm speaker needs at least 100W of power to make them produce any "quality" bass and sound realistic. This is with recommendations of speakers running 94-95dB efficiency. Seems contrary to what I've personally heard on quite a few systems. I know I've got 50Wpc on my NAD amp and it will make my ears bleed and stuff fall off the wall with my Pi Two Towers in a 15x15 room. Plenty of low bass with that set up. Heck, I get pretty good low bass with my little 1W amp.

Re: Why? [message #4725 is a reply to message #4723] Sat, 23 February 2008 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
Absolutely crazy! I believe in headroom, but still.... I managed to bounce a figurine off of a shelf IN THE NEXT ROOM with 9 watts and 93dB speakers.

Bob

Re: Why? [message #4726 is a reply to message #4725] Sat, 23 February 2008 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Agreed.

The guy that is asking for advice says he doesn't have time to go audition speakers or amps and just wants to be told what to buy. The guy giving him advice keeps telling him he has years of experience with speakers and he needs tons of power to get clean,low bass and loud sound. Granted the OP just said he wants the speakers for listening to rap and electronica, so low end is a must. I gave my opinion and experience about speaker sensitivity and different types of speakers. but was basically ignored I believe because I wasn't falling into the old SS more-watts-is-better myth. I guarantee that with a single sub and a good 50W SS amp he could make his ears bleed and make stuff fall off the wall. Heck, even with a 10W amp and a good powered sub he could do it and I told him so. But he is unwilling to make time to go listen to as many speakers as he can (college student who doesn't think he has time) and just wants to be told what to buy, so I left my two-cents and moved on.

Oh well, just had to vent. Maybe I'm becoming an audio snob?

Re: Why? [message #4728 is a reply to message #4726] Sun, 24 February 2008 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
granch is currently offline  granch
Viscount
Not at all. Some people have way more money than brains. Way more.
-Dick

Re: Why? [message #4729 is a reply to message #4726] Sun, 24 February 2008 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
"Maybe I'm becoming an audio snob?"

Shane, I know you better than that, you are FUNNY!

Everyone has different priorities, musical taste and listening perception.

Different strokes for different folks.

NW

Funny [message #4730 is a reply to message #4729] Sun, 24 February 2008 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Funny ha, or funny weird? Cuz I resemble that remark!!

Re: Funny [message #4731 is a reply to message #4730] Mon, 25 February 2008 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Neither apply! I thought that it was funny in that you would feel that you are a snob. Especially since I know that you are a nice guy and are nowhere close to being snobbish.

NW

Re: Funny [message #4732 is a reply to message #4731] Mon, 25 February 2008 23:28 Go to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Yeah, I was kiddin as well. Besides, I'm too poor to be an audio snob

Previous Topic: System Grounding Tweak
Next Topic: What was the result of the 1944 Philco radio? nt
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 18:47:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio