Home » Audio » General » 1944 Philco Radio
1944 Philco Radio [message #4703] Wed, 13 February 2008 11:55 Go to next message
Trell7369 is currently offline  Trell7369
Esquire
While cleaning out my grandmothers attic, I came across this 1944 Philco Radio. It has alot of wear and tear to it but what do you expect from a radio thats been stored in the attic for over fifty Years ? I would like to see if I can get it working but I am afraid it would be very expensive and even if I drop the dinero, would it even work ? Neverless I got a great Antique That I am proud of, even if i can't getting working. What do you guys think ? Here are some pics i took of it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Re: 1944 Philco Radio [message #4704 is a reply to message #4703] Wed, 13 February 2008 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I heard your message and have been meaning to call. Sorry I haven't yet. Looks like a sweet radio!

You might be surprised - It may work right away. Or it may work but hum loudly. The capacitors in those old radios tend to be bad after so long in storage but you can replace them pretty cheaply.

Sometimes the electrical cord is frayed or insulation brittle and cracked. If that's the case, replace the cord before plugging it in. Again, that's an inexpensive repair.

Often times the tubes still work. If one is weak or not working at all, you can still get replacements. I have a ton of tubes, so I may have what you need, if you need any at all.

Write back and let me know the condition. If it isn't working, you can probably get it running again pretty easily.

Re: 1944 Philco Radio [message #4705 is a reply to message #4703] Wed, 13 February 2008 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Wow. My parents have that exact same radio, but they won't let me have it yet!

My suggestion besides replacing the caps would be to replace the selenium rectifier to individual diodes (if it has one).

Also, I'm sure it has "live" chassis, so an isolation transformer and grounded 3-prong power cord would be a wise option.

I would suggest going to this website and to their radio forum. I've had lots of help with some old radios and there are some very knowledgable people there.

Re: 1944 Philco Radio [message #4706 is a reply to message #4703] Wed, 13 February 2008 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Magnificent!

The case is actually in wonderful condition. It's nitrocellulose lacquer finish is crazed a bit but the veneer seems mostly intact. Don't even wax it and especially, not with Pledge.

Replace the buttons, get it working and let those 45 tubes work their magic. Lucky guy.

Re: 1944 Philco Radio [message #4707 is a reply to message #4706] Wed, 13 February 2008 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Hey Bill, what do you think Mike should run into the wood to help luster it up? All the radios I've restored have gotten spray-on poly, but I haven't done one in years and I think probably that was pretty amateurish. (Just like using the word "amateurish") I'm happy, they look good, but what would you use to refinish the wood on that radio?

Re: 1944 Philco Radio [message #4708 is a reply to message #4705] Wed, 13 February 2008 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Our antique radio forum is cooler.

Been around longer too.

Re: 1944 Philco Radio [message #4709 is a reply to message #4706] Thu, 14 February 2008 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trell7369 is currently offline  Trell7369
Esquire
My grandparents were some of those people that like to keep things in order. When I went up in the attic, there was hardly any dust on anything. I am fortunate for that. Wayne called me today and I think hes coming over Saturday to see it, and replace the caps. I am excited to see if i can get the "old girl" working again. Maybe if I can get it working maybe I can bring it to one of the parties and let you guys see it. I am glad I got it not my uncle.

Re: 1944 Philco Radio [message #4710 is a reply to message #4708] Thu, 14 February 2008 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Sorry, I should know better, huh

Was just giving him some other places to find info if he wanted it. I found someone over at the other site that had specific knowledge and 1st hand experience with one of my Zenith radios which was very helpful.

Re: 1944 Philco Radio [message #4711 is a reply to message #4707] Thu, 14 February 2008 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
First, Trell has to decide whether to refinish.

Restoration will lower any possible antique value. A thorough cleaning would be fine, tho. Just a few drops of Dawn in 2 cups of warm water applied with a damp, not wet, white cloth. Keep wiping until the cloth comes way clean, then rinse with damp, not wet cloth and wipe dry.

Ordinarily, this would be followed by paste wax, Johnsons or Antiquax, but the crazing of the lacquer means some wax would remain in the cracks and be unsightly. If the lacquer is on tight, the wax can be brushed with a soft brush like you'd use to buff shoes and that will fix whatever wax remains.

An intermediate way to restore the finish if antique value isn't important would be to use Behlen's Qualarenu to dissolve and re-form the old lacquer.

Full re-finishing would involve stripping the lacquer with lacquer thinner and then professional re-spraying. You'd want to carefully choose a refinish shop for that, veneer damage is a real possibility.

I'd have a reputable antique refinisher recommended by a good antique dealer in to look at the piece. Hard to tell from a photo but the veneer looks so good and so lovely I'd just clean and wax.

Re: 1944 Philco Radio [message #4712 is a reply to message #4711] Thu, 14 February 2008 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Excellent advice, Bill, thanks!

Previous Topic: Welcome to SoundStage! Magazine
Next Topic: System Grounding Tweak
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 13:57:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio