Home » Audio » General » Welcome to Smith & Larson Audio
Welcome to Smith & Larson Audio [message #4666] Thu, 24 January 2008 22:04 Go to next message
admin
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Administrator
AudioRoundTable.com would like to welcome our newest sponsor, Smith & Larson Audio. We're proud to include them here at the Round Table.

Smith & Larson Audio is the creator of the famous Woofer Tester sold by Parts Express for many years. They've since gone on to make numerous significant improvements to their original tester, including adding a high power port, microphone inputs for acoustic measurements and an extended Spice-like package for modeling crossovers. The original 1995 Woofer Tester I was superseded by the Woofer Tester II in 2005, and they've added the Speaker Tester and Woofer Tester Pro models.

Keith Larson will be at the Lone Star Audiofest in May 2008 and will give a presentation of the WTPro/ST and its capabilities. The presentation will include a "ground up" design starting with a T/S test for the woofer, box alignment using the built-in import and curve-fitting feature and finally a demonstration of the interactive crossover designer.

We at AudioRoundTable.com are very pleased to be affiliated with Smith & Larson Audio.

Re: Welcome to Smith & Larson Audio [message #4672 is a reply to message #4666] Sun, 27 January 2008 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
This is great! I have beenconsidering buying that since I have so many drivers now and really need to start building speakers again. That demo will be great!
Welcome, Keith!
-akhilesh

Re: Welcome to Smith & Larson Audio [message #4673 is a reply to message #4672] Tue, 29 January 2008 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I have the WT2 and it is a essential piece of gear for working with known/unknown drivers.

Glad they made it available to the little guys like myself for a affordable cost and ease of use!!!

Regards, Ron

Re: Welcome to Smith & Larson Audio [message #4674 is a reply to message #4673] Tue, 29 January 2008 13:19 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I bought the WTPro/ST recently and have been putting it through its paces. I bought it for the ICD, which is like a Spice implementation that allows a ZMA file (impedance/phase plot) to be used for a load, and then uses digital processing to emulate the circuit. Basically, it's a programmable digital crossover that you configure with a Spice model. Works great with my existing Spice models.

Then of course, the original functions are still there to perform T/S measurements of a driver. Very easy to use. One nice extra feature is the ability to measure the speaker in the cabinet. After T/S specs have been measured, you can put the speaker in the box you've designed for it and measure the impedance in the cabinet. The WTPro/ST will then import this information into it's built-in box modeling program to plot response. This makes the box modeling program even more accurate than just entering box size and port dimensions because the WTPro/ST uses actual impedance measurements of the speaker in the box.

The WTPro/ST also performs acoustical measurements using several signals and methods. This allows you to get the raw response of each of the drivers, which is important when designing the crossover. After you've used all the design tools to optimize the cabinet and crossover you can measure the final results using one (or more) of several different signal types, including swept sine, MLS, noise, impulse or chirp. Gating controls are provided for pseudo-anechoic measurements (indoors). You can also do THD, IM and SINAD distortion measurements with the WTPro/ST. It's a pretty impressive system.

Check out these related threads on the Measurement forum:

Previous Topic: WSOTT meeting today with a new member
Next Topic: Re: How does one roll nanotubes anyway?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:33:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio