Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Wayne: 2 Pi or 2 Pi Tower...Which is better??
Wayne: 2 Pi or 2 Pi Tower...Which is better?? [message #38715] Fri, 18 October 2002 13:00 Go to next message
Bob is currently offline  Bob
Chancellor
Wayne,

OK I am sold! I will be ordering a 2 Pi kit next week. But...which one is best for me? I'm just trying to make up my mind which is superior...the standard 2 Pi or the Tower 2 Pi. I will initially be using my Zen tube amp in relatively small rooms with the corners available for placement. Quite frankly, the Tower version is more appealing. The drivers are at ear level...a good thing. Your specs show the Tower's frequency response going slightly lower...a good thing. It would be easy to eliminate the rear terminal cup and run the speaker wire directly through the "port".

1) Is there a performance trade-off or enhancement with either model?
2) Do you prefer plywood to MDF for construction?
3) Will I ever become as smart as you?

In your final estimation, which version do you recommend and why?

Many thanks,
Bob

It depends on your requirements [message #38720 is a reply to message #38715] Fri, 18 October 2002 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The tower two π goes deeper, but the studio two π is smaller. The smaller studio two provides adequate bass, but the additional bass from the larger tower two is nice. One is great where space is a premium, the other is better where a floor-stander is preferred. Both work very well on sensitive SET amps as well as more powerful designs.

As for the wood, it's really "six one way and half a dozen the other." I prefer MDF and particle board because there is no chance foir voids to develop. It's not so much the void I'm worried about as the debris in the void, which will buzz. Then again, high quality plywoods are usually pretty good and as long as there are no voids, it makes a very nice speaker that is more durable than MDF.

Re: It depends on your requirements [message #38736 is a reply to message #38720] Sat, 19 October 2002 11:33 Go to previous message
rickcr42 is currently offline  rickcr42
Esquire
Would either of them make a good surround channel speaker used with Klipsch heresys as the Mains ?
Previous Topic: 2pi plans
Next Topic: Any thoght on this tweeter?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 01:42:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout